I Think I Found the Problem

Started by texstrat, January 12, 2011, 05:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texstrat

This is my first stomp box and I have spent enough time troubleshooting this, I could have rebuilt it three times over. And not to be a quitter, I think I found my problem, it may be the way that I wired the foot switch. I may have reversed it after reading Aron's Switches/Bypass/Etc. article. Can someone confirm or deny that is what my problem is with the box. Here is the layout for my build and I wired it exactly like the it shows. Layout: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ff5_lo_b69.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

The fact that it says Bypass at the top of the switch makes me think that its the case. Being new to DIY stomp boxes I assumed it meant bypass switch.

Jhouse

I don't see anything wrong with your wiring.  :-\

When you first built the pedal did you put in every part correctly, like did you accidentally put in the capacitors the wrong way and turned it on?

texstrat

No capacitors were installed with proper orientation. The transistors were not oriented initially, but that was squared away fairly quickly. This is the strangest thing not being able to diagnose the problem. I know it is going to be something really simple and stupid on my part and I don't know if I am continuously overlooking the problem.

Jhouse

When you test it, do you use a battery?

texstrat

Fresh battery and cord in the input jack.

twabelljr

Is the wire circled in green at volume lug 2 sticking through and shorting to the pot case or is that just an illusion from the photo?
Shine On !!!

Jhouse

It might be. I really cannot tell from the picture.

texstrat

The wire in question, middle wire, runs back to the foot switch next to the wire lead.

twabelljr

And then connects to the output jack. If it is shorted you will have no output. What is the problem you are having? What works and what doesnt? Does bypass work?
Shine On !!!

Jhouse

He had an old thread of this, but I could never figure out how to help him. HERE is the link to it.

aron

I would test bypass first and see if you can even get that working.

twabelljr

The other link said it plays fine in bypass. (Thanks for the link Jhouse) This wire loks shorted to the pot case to me. Effect output from volume.

Shine On !!!

texstrat

Quote from: aron on January 12, 2011, 09:20:11 PM
I would test bypass first and see if you can even get that working.

How would I go about testing the bypass switch?

texstrat

Quote from: twabelljr on January 12, 2011, 08:28:32 PM

Is the wire circled in green at volume lug 2 sticking through and shorting to the pot case or is that just an illusion from the photo?

It was touching the case. I have looked at this so many times, I have looked right past it. No telling what else I am missing.

Jhouse

No worries about the bypass. You already said it works when the pedal isn't on. That is when it is in bypass. Did the pedal work after you fixed the short?

texstrat

No. With the box in bypass, I get voltage to the following leads at the foot switch:
battery 8.96V

Dark green lead 8.96V
Orange jumper 8.96V
Orange middle lead 8.96V

Effect on:

Yellow lead 8.02V
White lead 8.87V

The yellow lead, tip of input jack, initial voltage starts at 8.65 and drops to 8.02V. Red lead, output tip, reading vacillates in the mV range. Do I have a short or cold solder joint possibly?

danielzink

How far away from the bottom of the pot is your input jack ? When you plug in to the pedal could the jack be shorting to ground on the bottom of the pot ?

Dan

texstrat

Pulled the jack out and still the same issue. I have power to both sleeves 8.93V, but probing the input tip the voltage starts at 8.45 and drops to 8.00. I get nothing on the output tip back to the switch.

danielzink

Quote from: texstrat on January 12, 2011, 10:58:34 PM
Pulled the jack out and still the same issue. I have power to both sleeves 8.93V, but probing the input tip the voltage starts at 8.45 and drops to 8.00. I get nothing on the output tip back to the switch.

Someone correct me here - but sleeves are ground - no ?

I wouldn't think there should be any voltage on the sleeves.

Dan

milosch

On the DC jack it appears that the tip is wired to ground.  Is that on purpose (negative voltage on tip) ?