I Think I Found the Problem

Started by texstrat, January 12, 2011, 05:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardboard Tube Samurai

I just remembered something. It might be worth trying anyway. I've used some of those DC jacks which didn't have power going to both of the non-tip lugs. The LED works yeah? Try hooking the other wire/s to the same lug as the LED and see if it works

texstrat

Cardboard Tube Samurai

You see in the layout there are 3 points on J3 (DC jack)? 2 of these go to the 'sleeve' of the dc jack and one goes to the tip/center. Try connecting both of the sleeve wires to the same lug. If this doesn't work, try connecting them both to the other lug. If my memory serves me correctly, it's the lug on the top-right in that layout diagram (ie: connect the battery positive to this lug). So try taking the positive (red) lead of the battery snap and solder it to where your blue wire connects to the dc jack

texstrat

Interesting, I did a Google search on GGG Fuzz Face late 60's build issues and I get this, http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2723897-GGG-FUZZ-FACE-Build-Question

But on vintage amps this box is wired like mine at the switch and from what I can make out the jacks, http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89874

twabelljr

You say it works in bypass. But since you are getting voltage on the jack tip can you make sure with ohmmeter that the blue wire is hooked to the sleeve on the jack and the yellow to the tip, and that none are shorted together with nothing plugged in. I cant tell by zooming in on the pictures what lugs go to what prongs and the one I have out of an enclosure is a different type of stereo jack. Blue to blue, yellow to yellow. Neither blue should have continuity with either yellow and vice versa.
Shine On !!!

texstrat

Quote from: twabelljr on January 13, 2011, 09:06:02 PM
You say it works in bypass. But since you are getting voltage on the jack tip can you make sure with ohmmeter that the blue wire is hooked to the sleeve on the jack and the yellow to the tip, and that none are shorted together with nothing plugged in. I cant tell by zooming in on the pictures what lugs go to what prongs and the one I have out of an enclosure is a different type of stereo jack. Blue to blue, yellow to yellow. Neither blue should have continuity with either yellow and vice versa.

With the battery connected and nothing plugged into the jacks I get voltage from the blue wire (ring) to the dc jack. I get nothing on the yellow or black lead off the input jack. My input jack is wired like this image, http://skyturtle.com/page/2/, look half way down the page to stereo input jack.

Also I sent you a PM.

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Quote from: texstrat on January 13, 2011, 10:00:20 PM
With the battery connected and nothing plugged into the jacks I get voltage from the blue wire (ring) to the dc jack.

Yeah that's a problem. You shouldn't be getting any DC voltage on your ground.

Have you tried my suggestion yet?

texstrat

Could the dc jack be bad or faulty?

Cardboard Tube Samurai

I'm just going to give up if you continue to ignore me

texstrat

Quote from: Cardboard Tube Samurai on January 13, 2011, 06:55:56 PM
You see in the layout there are 3 points on J3 (DC jack)? 2 of these go to the 'sleeve' of the dc jack and one goes to the tip/center. Try connecting both of the sleeve wires to the same lug. If this doesn't work, try connecting them both to the other lug. If my memory serves me correctly, it's the lug on the top-right in that layout diagram (ie: connect the battery positive to this lug). So try taking the positive (red) lead of the battery snap and solder it to where your blue wire connects to the dc jack

Start with the red wire on the dc jack desolder and move with the blue wire on the dc jack. Then if that does not work, put the red wire back and move the two sleeve wires to which lug on the dc jack? The black lead on both sleeves goes to the + ground on the board.

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Quote from: texstrat on January 13, 2011, 10:34:41 PM
Quote from: Cardboard Tube Samurai on January 13, 2011, 06:55:56 PM

Start with the red wire on the dc jack desolder and move with the blue wire on the dc jack. Then if that does not work, put the red wire back and move the two sleeve wires to which lug on the dc jack?

The first part of this is correct. Firstly, try with the red connected to where you have the blue wire. If this doesn't work, put the red wire back then try connecting the blue wire to where the red wire is

Also, sorry if I confused you by saying "sleeve". This was referring to the outer part of the DC input jack as opposed to the center. Not to be confused with the sleeves of the input and output jacks. As far as I can see, the rest of it is wired ok. I just know that if you do the layout of the DC jack exactly how GGG have it, it probably won't work. It's caught me out several times

texstrat

Didn't see the bottom half of your post. Just to reiterate, the way the dc jack is wired now, the blue wire is soldered to the ring lug and the black wire is solder to the sleeve lug. If you look at this link half way down the page for stereo jack, mine is wired identical and also how GGG's layout for this build is shown, http://skyturtle.com/page/2/.

What values am I looking for when I do this?

Thanks.

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Quote from: texstrat on January 13, 2011, 10:50:37 PM
What am I looking for when I do this?

Thanks.

If it's as I suspect, the effect should work. Change the wires and test it. If it doesn't work, make the other change and test it.

texstrat

Quote from: Cardboard Tube Samurai on January 13, 2011, 10:51:35 PM
Quote from: texstrat on January 13, 2011, 10:50:37 PM
What am I looking for when I do this?

Thanks.

If it's as I suspect, the effect should work. Change the wires and test it. If it doesn't work, make the other change and test it.

Putting the red to blue, blue to red did nothing. I replaced the blue wire from the input jack ring to the dc jack because the end was frayed in the input jack. The wire is now white. I hooked it up to the amp and guitar, fine through by pass, when I pushed effects I got nothing. I started moving the pots and all were quiet except the contour pot. It was scratchy and I could hear the guitar through the amp, it was low, but still it was sound from the guitar. So is it possibly a bad wire, short, etc.?

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Hmmm...

Have you double and triple checked that not a single part of the input jack touches anything else in the enclosure when plugged in?

Also, have you moved or adjusted the trimpot at all?

texstrat

Quote from: Cardboard Tube Samurai on January 14, 2011, 12:02:53 AM
Hmmm...

Have you double and triple checked that not a single part of the input jack touches anything else in the enclosure when plugged in?

Also, have you moved or adjusted the trimpot at all?

The input touches the volume pot, but I have it situated where the fiberboard is touching and not the metal. The mono output is narrower and doesn't touch anything, but I took the input jack out to see if that was causing a short, but the voltage results were the same. I had adjusted the trim pot so that the voltage on the collector leg (Q2) was 4.5V. I have now moved it so it is centered.

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Well I'm fresh out of ideas now, sorry. I'm sure I could find it if I had it here in front of me but this debugging over the internet is difficult

texstrat

Quote from: Cardboard Tube Samurai on January 14, 2011, 12:22:18 AM
Well I'm fresh out of ideas now, sorry. I'm sure I could find it if I had it here in front of me but this debugging over the internet is difficult

No kidding, I appreciate the help. I'll start fresh tomorrow.  :icon_mrgreen:

twabelljr

Another  thought since the power supply seems sketchy. Try desoldering the power jack from the 9v pad on the board and from the ring connection of the jack, and remove the battery snap from the jack. Then hook the black battery snap lead to the 9v pad on the board and the red battery snap lead to the extra ground pad above where volume lug 1 solders to the board, or directly to the sleeve of the jack. The effect will always be on when there is a battery plugged in the snap but the dc power jack and input jack switching will all be eliminated for the test. Lets try it on battery power only. Of course use a fresh battery and reset your bias voltage if necessary. Fingers crossed!  :D
Shine On !!!

Quackzed

thats good advice. eliminate any part of the wiring that is un necessary to the circuit function.then test.
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!