I Think I Found the Problem

Started by texstrat, January 12, 2011, 05:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texstrat

Quote from: twabelljr on January 14, 2011, 07:49:17 AM
Another  thought since the power supply seems sketchy. Try desoldering the power jack from the 9v pad on the board and from the ring connection of the jack, and remove the battery snap from the jack. Then hook the black battery snap lead to the 9v pad on the board and the red battery snap lead to the extra ground pad above where volume lug 1 solders to the board, or directly to the sleeve of the jack. The effect will always be on when there is a battery plugged in the snap but the dc power jack and input jack switching will all be eliminated for the test. Lets try it on battery power only. Of course use a fresh battery and reset your bias voltage if necessary. Fingers crossed!  :D

The input ring is positively grounded, so that will need to tie-in to either the output sleeve or + ground on the board? I will get it a try.

texstrat

Quackzed

so its not the dc jack. or the input jack power switching. progress. i'd leave it with the battery directly connected to the pcb, just to keep it simple till its working...

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

texstrat

:icon_redface: I found out why I was not hearing anything, I had the wrong capacitor in C3. I called for a 0.1uf and I had a 0.0001uf. I have sound, not as loud in by pass, but sound, no effects though.

What should I start checking, besides my sanity!?!

twabelljr

QuoteThe input ring is positively grounded, so that will need to tie-in to either the output sleeve or + ground on the board?

The input jack ring is only grounded when you plug your guitar cable in and complete the circuit to turn the effect on. The idea was to eliminate that connection. The audio jacks are already grounded to each other and the board via their sleeve connections. The input jack ring connection isn't necessary with direct battery power. Just making sure you understood the recommendation. Glad to hear you have made some progress. Keep at it! Have you checked all of the pots? Measure the resistance from the 2 outside lugs to make sure you have the right values in the right places. Then measure from the center lug to each outside lug as you turn the pot to make sure it changes value when you adjust it. They should go from near zero ohms one direction gradually up to the pot value. Then the other outside lug to center lug should do the same but opposite, pot value to near zero.
Duh, my bad, the pot are probably marked with their values but should still be tested.
Shine On !!!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: texstrat on January 14, 2011, 06:21:06 PM
:icon_redface: I found out why I was not hearing anything, I had the wrong capacitor in C3. I called for a 0.1uf and I had a 0.0001uf. I have sound, not as loud in by pass, but sound, no effects though.

What should I start checking, besides my sanity!?!

After 4 pages of posts, I think you should follow the initial advice you were given and follow the debugging thread at the top of the page. If you found a wrong component.....who knows what else you may have mistaken. The debug thread is there for you to find these kinds of mistakes so you dont have to post 4 pages worth before finding out that a capacitor value was wrong.  :icon_redface:

Good Luck  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 15, 2011, 11:46:14 AM

After two completely separate threads with 4 pages of posts

Yeah, well past time to be following the debug thread instructions pal

Jhouse

Cardboard Tube Samurai can be kind of a grump sometimes.  :-\

Mind giving us an update on the voltages for your transistors Texstrat?

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Quote from: Jhouse on January 15, 2011, 06:07:31 PM

True, I get a bit frustrated at times. My apologies to anyone I've upset

texstrat

Quote from: Jhouse on January 15, 2011, 06:07:31 PM

Mind giving us an update on the voltages for your transistors Texstrat?

Sure as soon as I get it running again. I did not like the wiring job I did, so I took it apart and re-wired it. So have let well enough alone.

Yeah I should have read the debug pages closer, I did print them, make a audio probe, etc. Being new to this, I was not aware that there were codes to identify the ceramic capacitors like the banding on resistors. So, I wound up finding an article about codes on capacitors and realized my error.

I appreciate(d) the help and I hope I did not piss anyone off, as that was not my intention.

Anyway, as soon as I get the thing working correctly, I will post those values.

Thanks.

Jhouse

QuoteTrue, I get a bit frustrated at times. My apologies to anyone I've upset

It happens to the best of us. No worries. :icon_biggrin:

Anyway, as soon as I get the thing working correctly, I will post those values.

Make sure you check that all the parts are the right value too. I would check them for you, but I can't really make them out from the pictures. I made a fuzz face on breadboard today as according to your specs. I got it fired up and working, but I only checked the value for the C leg of Q2. I'll check the kind of voltages I got tomorrow afternoon.

texstrat

Jhouse, how are you measuring your transistors in circuit? That way I measure them the same way as you have. I hope it is not the wire, it is the RS 22 gauge hook-up wire, not the 26 gauge that came with the kit. Moving the board around with the smaller gauge was causing the wire to fray and break, another headache to deal with. If you have it bread boarded, I would like to see a picture of it.

askwho69

"To live is to die"

Jhouse

QuoteJhouse, how are you measuring your transistors in circuit? That way I measure them the same way as you have. I hope it is not the wire, it is the RS 22 gauge hook-up wire, not the 26 gauge that came with the kit. Moving the board around with the smaller gauge was causing the wire to fray and break, another headache to deal with. If you have it bread boarded, I would like to see a picture of it.

Sorry bud. I just read this thread and took it all off before I took any pictures.  :icon_sad: I did get some values for you to have a reference to go off of. I put my red probe on the sleeve of my input jack and then I used the black probe to touch the legs. Here's the values I got for mine.

Q1
C= 1.41
B= 0.62
E= 0.00

Q2
C= 4.52
B= 1.41
E= 0.77

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Quackzed

double check the resistor off of q1's collector again. c=1.41
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!