News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

PIC 12F675 help

Started by diemilchmann, January 12, 2011, 11:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diemilchmann

Hi
I am completely new to any sort of PICs or DSP or microcontrollers. I can figure out the programming for the PIC 12F675, but i dont know any way to burn it without buying a fancy burner........... any suggestions?

Thanks
Julian

JKowalski

Just buy a programmer. They are worth the (small) investment.

I had bought a $15 dollar cheap programmer off of eBay. It's worked well enough for me so far as a started out but the lack of support and limited chip compatability as I do more and more uC work has driven me to just buy a PICKIT. They are only $30 for the pickit 2 and 40 for the pickit 3. Haven't received it yet so I can't give a review.

potul

Until now I was using a DIY serial programmer, and just some weeks ago I bought a PICKIT2 clone in ebay...... I really recommend it. Being able to program using USB is a must these days, and it's really convenient to use in circuit programming, no more need to remove the PIC from the circuit!

I couldn't make debugging work yet, I think it is related to some missing pull-down resistors in my clone... I need to verify.

But I highly recommend it.

Mateu

diemilchmann

Lets assume i have no money.... is there some way to interface thru an arduino?

potul

In this case, I think you can use any JDM based programmer. You can build it yourself for the cost of a beer. But you will need a Serial port.
I've been using the uJDM (google for it) for some years, without issues.

Galego

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iCA03-USB-PIC-dsPIC-EEPROM-Programmer-Set-3-3V-5-0V-/280615778290?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415600f7f2

I bought one of these, it works great. ICSP and it's USB. It's compatible with PicKit2. I've used ICSP with debug, so that also works.

diemilchmann

will the uJDM work for the 12f675? it says its only good with the PIC16x84 series.

Andre

Quote from: diemilchmann on January 15, 2011, 08:33:42 PM
will the uJDM work for the 12f675? it says its only good with the PIC16x84 series.

No, it doesn't  :(

You might have a look at the RCD programmer
I've used it for years to program 12F675 PIC's (and others) and it works OK.
If you use the PICprog4U programmer software, you can also program the 12F683.
12F683 does all the things a 12F675 does, but faster because it uses a 8MHz internal clock instead of 4MHz on the 12F675, but also has a PWM channel, which is nice for audio experiments.

potul

Quote from: diemilchmann on January 15, 2011, 08:33:42 PM

oops, sorry. My fault. I didn't realize 12f675 is not compatible with uJDM....

diemilchmann

Jaicen_solo

Head on over to ucapps.de, and build the programmer there. It's the one I use and worls just fine, provided you have a parallell port.