interesting new digital amp tech at NAMM

Started by armstrom, January 14, 2011, 03:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armstrom

Just found this video on youtube and it looks like pretty interesting stuff. A really great concept, have a digital "amp" model that can generate test tones and monitor the sound of your "real" amp in order to create a representative model of it. Pretty crazy, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRQlWC-mXUs

Anyone up for a clone?  :icon_mrgreen:

-Matt

CynicalMan

I wonder if you could do effect profiling too. Like, run a stompbox instead of the amp->mic setup. Pretty neat  :)

Taylor

Interesting. I watched a few other videos but couldn't figure out whether it models the EQ of the amp or not. Seems like that's something guitarists would care about. In other words, it doesn't prompt you to change any of the settings during the profiling, so it's only a snapshot of the amp in that particular setting. Then it seems to have its own EQ curve - isn't one of the things guitarists care about the specific tone stack of an amp as compared to other ones?

I'm not a guitarist and I'm not really that excited about different guitar tones, but that's my take.

trendyironicname

I think it'd kind of suck to have to have the specific amp you're trying to model. If I had that amp, I'd just use that. 
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Taylor

Quote from: trendyironicname on January 14, 2011, 10:44:45 PM
I think it'd kind of suck to have to have the specific amp you're trying to model. If I had that amp, I'd just use that. 

I think it's aimed at studios, who can easily afford a bunch of fancy amps, but don't want to have to set each one up. Make the profiles once and then just use this thing.

However, you could make profiles of your friends' amps, or you can buy, profile, then flip amps. If these guys are smart, they will tap into the whole social media thing and create a website where people can share their profiles with each other. Then you'll be able to download profiles made with super-fancy mics and mic preamps that a regular person would never have access to. I think they probably realize that people will want access to profiles for amps other than the ones they own, so they'd be dumb not to make that possible somehow.

armstrom

I could see it being popular with gigging musicians as well. I know people who own amps that they wouldn't dream of dragging out to a smokey bar where it could get damaged or stolen. I hear lots of horror stories of people who have watched marshall heads tumble down stairs because a handle broke off a road case or a beer getting spilled on an amp. I agree though, assuming you can pull the profiles off the amp (would be silly if they didn't allow that, but who knows) hopefully a community to trade profiles will pop-up. Although, who knows what the price on this thing will be... if it's too expensive not enough people in "the community" will buy them and it will be limited to studios and pros with big  budgets.
-Matt