$$$ Does anyone want to debug this pedal for me $$$

Started by youngstownguitar, January 17, 2011, 03:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngstownguitar

I built a pedal...it doesn't work.
Im fairly new to this and I am not as skilled or patient with it as I would have thought.  I would just like to pay someone with the interest and expertise to take a crack at fixing this thing up for me. 

What is a fair price? I dont know and I dont want to insult anyone- just PM me with an offer please.

More info on my pedal here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=89294.msg756347#msg756347

I apologize if I put this thread in the wrong spot- I wasn't sure where was best.  I also tried changing the name of my original thread but I couldn't figure it out.

Cardboard Tube Samurai

I'd just like to mention that this is an internationally viewed forum and mentioning your locality would greatly improve your chances of assistance

runmikeyrun

If you're in Youngstown, OH i can probably help you.  I'm in Akron.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

youngstownguitar

Quote from: Cardboard Tube Samurai on January 17, 2011, 06:57:26 PM
I'd just like to mention that this is an internationally viewed forum and mentioning your locality would greatly improve your chances of assistance

Good thinking- thanks

I am in youngstown, Ohio, USA.

I wouldn't mind paying for shipping both ways anywhere in the US

Cardboard Tube Samurai

I would have been happy to help if you were in Brisbane Australia  :icon_cool:

youngstownguitar

Quote from: Cardboard Tube Samurai on January 17, 2011, 08:43:11 PM
I would have been happy to help if you were in Brisbane Australia  :icon_cool:

you could always pay my airfare

Schappy

Did you use an audioprobe?
I cant stress enough how important it is.

Not being too far away from being a beginner the audio probe saved huge amounts of time on several pedals.
You also need to come up with a plan to diagnose your probem.

These stompbox circuits are pretty simple and can be debugged with the right plan pretty easily.

youngstownguitar

Thanks for the info.  I'm really not interested in working on this thing anymore right now tho.  Would much rather have someone else take a look if they want.

petemoore

What is a fair price?
  What pedal ?
  What's wrong with it ?
  Since we aren't knowing these things it's only easy to say that shipping + say 12buxx per hour fixing + whatever else +/- complications might make it known after that it is close to or more than the sum of the parts.
  Sum of the parts aren't too bad, box/switch/jacks almost always are good when newish, the board...could be a simple snap to fix or require multiple 14 dollar chips, no way to tell at this time.
  Good chance it's more trouble/cost to ship/fix/ship with a debugger than debugging it, or for 2-for-1-ing with someone [I buy two, you build 2, we each get 1], which seems to be the 'base barter' amount for build/debug Vs. Buy 'n ship. That way the builder/debugger gets to start with 2 boards, chances are 1'll get figured and shipped to the buyer.
  Having boards in wrapper-boxes layin' around that don't work is one thing, having 1 that someone is waiting and paying for is another, imo the uncertainties + shipping make it expensive-er or risky.
  Consider the Debugging Page and putting some effort into the circuit where it sits, or let it just-sit there for a while.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Electron Tornado

Have you tried Uncle Ernie's ? It looks like their web site is under construction, but their phone number is on their My Space page: http://www.myspace.com/uncleernieseffects

I'm in Warren, but have toooooooo many projects on my plate at the moment.
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

trendyironicname

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

youngstownguitar

Quote from: petemoore on January 19, 2011, 07:47:59 AM
What is a fair price?
  What pedal ?
  What's wrong with it ?
  Since we aren't knowing these things it's only easy to say that shipping + say 12buxx per hour fixing + whatever else +/- complications might make it known after that it is close to or more than the sum of the parts.

like i said in my OP
More info on my pedal here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=89294.msg756347#msg756347

Thanks for all the info guys