Want to experiment without destroying components

Started by 270fx, November 07, 2019, 10:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

270fx

I'm a beginner and I want to experiment by starting with the simplest possible functioning circuit and add components one at a time to see how the sound changes.

The simplest thing I can think of is just a transistor hooked up to a battery with an input and an output. Will this kill the transistor? If so, where do I need to put the resistor and why?

Thanks

Kipper4

Have you got a breadboard? wise investment for a tinkerer. Lots to learn without destroying componants
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

antonis

Till Stephen comes for omited welcome.. :icon_evil:

Quote from: 270fx on November 07, 2019, 10:15:28 PM
The simplest thing I can think of is just a transistor hooked up to a battery with an input and an output. Will this kill the transistor? If so, where do I need to put the resistor and why?

Transistor is a 3 terminal device so, in most cases, you need 2 resistors, at least..
(in the way of 2 terminals incoming and 1 outcoming current & vice-versa..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ElectricDruid

Welcome!

Definitely +1 to get a breadboard. Also don't worry too much about destroying components. Most of them are pretty cheap, so it isn't the end of the world, and everyone here has fried a few. It's better to experiment and lose a few than to be afraid to experiment and never learn anything.

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

270fx

Quote from: Kipper4 on November 08, 2019, 02:36:34 AM
Have you got a breadboard? wise investment for a tinkerer. Lots to learn without destroying componants

Yep, got a breadboard. Just waiting for my shipment of components. Ready to get started!

duck_arse

the more parts you destroy, the sooner you can put in another order for new parts. more stuff!

also welcome. also - lpb1, electra distortion.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

PRR

Quote from: 270fx on November 07, 2019, 10:15:28 PM...The simplest thing I can think of is just a transistor hooked up to a battery with an input and an output. Will this kill the transistor?

Yes. (Actually maybe nothing happens at idle. A big input will smoke the transistor... I have the T-shirts.)

A naked transistor does not amplify. The simplest amplifier has a transistor AND a resistor in a "fight". One pulls down, one pulls up.

Since there is DC on the output, but it is rude to send DC to the next input, you need a blocking cap.

Just like that, small signals won't come out and half of big signals just fart. Audio swings both ways. We need another resistor and cap to "bias" the input so the output sits "near halfway" so audio can sing both ways.

There is a deeper problem. Three legs on a transistor. Three *circuits* (complete loops) on an amplifier: input loop, output loop, power loop. Try to draw that and you see that legs must connect to multiple loops; also there is no way to separate the output from the power.

Agree that Orman's AMZ site is a great place for the basics.
  • SUPPORTER