Spark Gap: Unusual 9V Hybrid Valve Overdrive

Started by merlinb, January 19, 2011, 12:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

:icon_wink:
  Interesting application for a space charge device !
  Did you have to search for it or did you know what to look for ?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: merlinb on January 22, 2011, 06:15:54 AM
I use Evatron enclosures, but since it's 60mm wide I *think* it would fit in a Hammond 1590N.

Are you using PLASTIC cases from Evatron?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

merlinb

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 02, 2011, 08:56:16 AM
Are you using PLASTIC cases from Evatron?
No, they're aluminium.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: merlinb on February 02, 2011, 03:55:04 PM
No, they're aluminium.

If its not too much trouble, could you post a link to the enclosure because I could only find  that size in plastic.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

merlinb

benl560

merlins layout will fit in a 125b hammond without much room to spare.
i would have another one done to post, but i think smallbear forgot about me...

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: benl560 on February 02, 2011, 04:25:13 PM
merlins layout will fit in a 125b hammond without much room to spare.

I would hope so because the Evatron that merlin uses is smaller!  :o

Hammond 1590N1 (125B) = 121 x 66 x 40
Evatron EVA60 = 114 x 64 x 30

benl560

got me by 2 mils! so close, yet so far away...

i looked briefly for evatrons, but none of the sites i usually buy from sell them. are they nice as far as enclosures go? they appear to have a different "stance"

Joecool85

I'm still looking forward to a sound and/or video clip.  I gotta hear this thing!
Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com

BadIdeas

Very intriguing. I don't really understand tubes, so forgive this possibly stupid question, but...
Are the current/voltage characteristics really a function of filament voltage or filament current?

Clearly the tube diode acts differently from the silicon and germanium diodes. I will have to try them some day. What is the filament voltage on this graph?

(From your post on my thread some time back)
How hard can it possibly be to put FRESH vegetables in a can? Seriously.

merlinb

Quote from: BadIdeas on February 05, 2011, 11:33:44 PM
Are the current/voltage characteristics really a function of filament voltage or filament current?
Strictly it's filament power (temperature) that counts, so you can use voltage or current as the variable. However, "E" series valve have heaters designed for voltage drive -the rated current being approximate- so I stick to voltage measurement in such cases.

What is the filament voltage on this graph?
6.3V (the rated value). Here's what happens when you alter it. These curves only show what happens at less than 500uA anode current, but that's the region that matters in pedal design.

BadIdeas

Looking again, I'm not sure I like your bypass. Don't you lose treble through the volume pot? Could you use a second BC337 between the output buffer's +input and the 10n cap or just put the existing one there? I don't have the means to cook one up right now, but what do you think? Maybe it's just fine, but it looks like a possible improvement.

benl560

hay merlin, are there any problems that you know of with your pcb layout? im not getting any voltage through pin 3 of transistor Q3.  ive checked everything like 5 times, no solder bridges, good joints, etc...
then i did one of those cardboard coca cola box layouts of up til the heaters and...

volla! voltage throughout.
either i got a bad diode or there's an error in that section of the pcb.
just wondered if you knew of an error..

merlinb

Quote from: BadIdeas on February 06, 2011, 07:54:39 PM
Looking again, I'm not sure I like your bypass. Don't you lose treble through the volume pot?
No, there is no loss. The output impedance of the "ON" transistor is extremely small.

Quotehay merlin, are there any problems that you know of with your pcb layout?
Nope, it's the layout I used! One thing perhaps; the polarity of D2 is not marked (anode to ground), but that should be obvious from the schem.

misterg

Quote from: benl560 on February 06, 2011, 10:34:04 PM
hay merlin, are there any problems that you know of with your pcb layout?

just wondered if you knew of an error..

PCB worked for me.... (2nd build, not boxed up yet)

Sound clip of sorts

Here's some noises I recorded through the vero build. No tunes, just single note & chords:

First set clean, then I gradually increase the Fat control to max, back to clean, then increase the Mids control to max (Fat at min), clean again, then increase both together. I think it gives a fair representation of how my build sounds. I tried to be consistent from clip to clip -  Nothing was clipping except the pedal (Single coil neck pickup on a strat copy).

http://www.4shared.com/audio/JSxRgHCk/sg-ts.html

Andy

benl560

ok thanks guys!
there has to be a bad component on there somewhere. ive checked EVERYTHING like 7 times now. i mean, ive stared at this thing for hours now.

oh well. im just gonna make a new board, get some new components, and start again.

misterg

Quote from: benl560 on February 07, 2011, 07:10:44 PM
there has to be a bad component on there somewhere. ive checked EVERYTHING like 7 times now. i mean, ive stared at this thing for hours now.

You've done THIS, right?

Post your readings & a high res, in-focus picture of the top & bottom of the board (taken with a CAMERA, not a f%&$??g telephone) and I'll have a look :)

I think the TL074 is somewhat static sensitive, so you might have zapped it if you didn't take precautions. Maybe try plugging a different one in if you're confident that everything else is OK. (You did socket it, didn't you??)

Andy

BadIdeas

QuoteNo, there is no loss. The output impedance of the "ON" transistor is extremely small.
OK, I get it now. Never mind me. I'm still figuring these things out. Great design.
Through Google Shopping search, I found the 6AL5 available from Triode Electronics, as well as a bunch of eBay listings. Where did you get yours?

benl560

yep did all of that.  i dont think its is the tl074(at least not yet) as there is NO voltage on any of the circuit past Q3, the bd435.

my power supply is a steady 9.48 volts
Q1
1, 8.87
2, 9.48
3, 0

D 1N4001
A, 0
C, 9.48

Z9V1
A, 0
C, 8.86

also, ive tried 2 different transistors for q3
i will post some pictures here in a couple hours.

benl560

:icon_exclaim:
what an idiot!
i believe ive gotten my transistor in backwards.
this is unbelievable. i spent the past 2 days staring at this thing angrily and checking and checking.
today, maybe 3 minutes.

jeeze... well now i can see if the rest of this is right...