Your favorite knobs

Started by buildafriend, January 25, 2011, 02:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buildafriend

runmikeyrun

I like the boss style, but i'm also partial to chicken head, they just need more room to use.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

elshiftos

I quite like these solid aluminium collet knobs, from farnell here in the UK.

pazuzu

G. Hoffman

The pots with the clear shafts for the LEDs are a bit part of it, or course.

Gabriel

diemilchmann

Tony Forestiere

Oops..I goofed
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

cloudscapes

I use the "boss middle" knob that can be found on smallbear, then I paint and epoxy the top with a custom color or graphic. like so:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

skiraly017

Quote from: G. Hoffman on January 25, 2011, 03:24:10 PM

The pots with the clear shafts for the LEDs are a bit part of it, or course.

Gabriel

That is really cool.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Tony Forestiere

"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

petemoore

Brass screw/insert sleeve, solid construction.
  Some other types are as reliable though, depends on the potshaft..
  After trying the goldtop/round with thin black strip [difficult/impossible to see].
  One white Vol. and black chickenheads were much easier for me to read/remember/instruct, seeing where the head points is quite easy if the CH knobs are a contrast to the panel.
  I can remember not being able to see the thin strip of goldtop knobs worth a darn in blinking or low lights, then the settings indications were hard to remember etc. recheck settings too much, while bending over and gaze at the panel close up to try to see...
  Another problem is amp w/knobs in top panel in the back ! {learn them by feel} dark-ish gold print on black that can't be seen except when viewed from almost directly above ! akkk, not so bad with trapezoid head on beatle cab [perfect if you are over 7' tall], if it is turned 1/4 turn so as to look kinda funny but be reasonable as far as user friendly control. [there are 64 knob/switches and...not user intuitive in the least] the knobx are visible.
  I like the LED knobs. Cool looking and care of any low-lighting conditions.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

buildafriend

Quote from: cloudscapes on January 25, 2011, 07:00:49 PM
I use the "boss middle" knob that can be found on smallbear, then I paint and epoxy the top with a custom color or graphic. like so:

wow your cases are beautiful !!

MetalUpYerEye

I use Boss style knobs that I got in a 25 or 30 pack from hongkongsupersale on ebay. Its nice having all my pedals match but it turns me off from building amps because they look funny on a chassis. I also have 15+ knobs that I salvaged from a blown Carvin SX200 head that a friend gave me. They're all black witch-hat style with white numbers on them.

vendettav

i use the MXR style knobs.. does teh work and you get two seizes :)
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

lazerphea

Quote from: pazuzu on January 25, 2011, 03:22:04 PM
i like these. simple.

I love them too!
The chrome ones are also great:

Ice-9

Quote from: lazerphea on January 26, 2011, 04:03:17 AM
Quote from: pazuzu on January 25, 2011, 03:22:04 PM
i like these. simple.

I love them too!
The chrome ones are also great:

I love those as well, but they seem hard to get at a decent price. Can I ask if anyone has a supplier of these that's accessable to UK builders.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

twabelljr

QuoteCrap picture, but I think these knobs are the biz.

I like these too.
Shine On !!!

petemoore

MXR with the 'rubber tube' accessory, puts a grippy knob top a bit above the other upright items, one on the volume knob with the right pot [not too loose, not too stiff] makes a usable foot-volume [or other] control.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.