delay trailing?

Started by mhartington, January 29, 2011, 04:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhartington

this is inspired by the echo based delay on here, but i was wondering if i switched my delay form true bypassed to just using a dpdt switch, would i be able to get the same effect? Im not trying to go all out and put something for delay trails on a board and wire it in but if it was just a matter of making it not true bypassed it would want to do it. Anyone know?

Taylor

The basic idea is that you only switch the input - either the input connects to the input of the delay circuit, or it connects to the effects output. You'd probably end up having to do all the same buffering as in the Echo Base to keep levels steady, etc. and if you're using a mechanical switch you may get a slight click going into the delay when you switch, which kind of ruins the smooth transition we want with this kind of effect.

Not sure if there's any simpler way than what Slacker has already done.

Mark Hammer

Smallbear sells some momentary DPDT stompswitches.  These are nicely suited to the task because they can be configured as normally open (pressing enables the signal path of your choice) or normally closed (pressing disables the path of your choice).

So, for example, the normally open wiring could be used to enable input signal fed to the BBD for as long as you hold the button down.  Take your foot off, and whatever is in the delay loop continues until it runs out of juice, without anything else you're playing being added to the delay.  So you'd hear the dry path, as mixed in via the output mixing stage, and whatever is still recirculating.

Conversely, wired as normally closed, you could use the other set of contacts to govern the inclusion of the delay signal to the mixing stage.  Hold your foot down and you could add whatever you wanted to and all you'll hear from the pedal is the dry signal....UNTIL you take your foot off, at which point whatever is in the delay path is suddenly added in.

Lots of interesting possibilities.