Building the Tiny Giant amp

Started by Taylor, February 02, 2011, 11:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jogina111

Here's what I did to my  TG amp, and I'm more than happy I've done these.
-used a bigger speaker instead of getting a PSU with more current.Since turning the volume pot to max makes it fuzzy.
-build it as it is and use effects pedals. Adding preamp or channels would induce noise and hum. I Skipped the regulator chip and using a 12v 2A PSU yet I'm getting a monstrous sound from this amp..

Moxienator

@Jogina - What about tone stack? I definitely need a T/M/B on this amp.

The point of the build for me is to make a fully functional amp that requires little in front of it. I plan on using it to play out in some coffee house /jazz club-type environments where i dont need blistering sound, but would want at least a "lead" channel,and of course, reverb is a must.

Is there any way to build the pedals inside an enclosure with the TG and eliminate hum? I think I could do with using a pedal for the "lead" channel (though it may be mounted to the cabinet in a separate enclosure to utilize a "kick-switch" that protrudes from the side of the amp and powered off a 9v out from the TG board), but I kinda feel like having a built in reverb should be easily done and would be a very welcome member to the amp's population. Its going to be in a smallish cabinet that houses a Celestion G12T-75, 12" @ 4 Ohms, but built with a chassis that houses everything in such a way as to be removable from the cab and used as a "head" in the event that I hate the speaker, cabinet, or both.
Reality has a way of intruding on Design. Design, therefore, is the Science and Arte of intruding on Reality

jogina111

Its basically the same, i've done this before but I like switching effects with my foot instead of switching them on from the amp interface. It's basically the same using different power supplies for the TG and for the effects but they.'Re on the same cavity.. With the power supplies also inside

jogina111

Its basically the same, i've done this before but I like switching effects with my foot instead of switching them on from the amp interface. It's basically the same using different power supplies for the TG and for the effects but they.'Re on the same cavity.. With the power supplies also inside. For the tone stack, maybe the preamp stage for the tiny giant can drive a TMB tonestack. Or maybe build a tone mender from runoffgroove.. Sorry for double posting.. I'm just using my phone to post cause I'm outdoors miles away from my PC..

Rock_on

How voltge multiplier? I have 9V tp link psu.

Can i use multiplier to make an 18V psu?

Rock_on

Oh nevermind i remeber now, the current is not enough. Sorry

jogina111

What you actually need is a 12v PSU 2amperes or greater..Thats not very hard to get in the philippines..

Moxienator

So I've finally decided on the scheme. I went with just a tone stack and a reverb. I used a modified fender control scheme,
With 270pf, .022mf, and .15mf caps and a 4k7 resistor. I've included a DPDT switch for the reverb, and it has 2- b50k pots.
I used an A25K for Treb and Bass, and an A5K for middle. I also got an A50K for the master volume pot. Each is modular,
So if something's not quite right i can pop it out by sections. Wired up everything i could on perfboard. Still waiting on the
TG PCB though. I plan on building the ROG Azabache and the Ube Reamer as stand-alones. The speaker i got is a celestion
G12-75 (i think) i got it off Fleabay and am still waiting for it to arrive.
Reality has a way of intruding on Design. Design, therefore, is the Science and Arte of intruding on Reality

Somicide

Not really a building question, but was curious:
For those that ordered the PCB/kit from Taylor, whats turn around like on shipping?  Can't wait to get this!
Peace 'n Love

Moxienator

Sent my payment on 4/12, haven't recieved it as of 4/24, so maybe like 2 weeks?
Hopefully it'll be here soon!

jogina111

Quote from: Moxienator on April 24, 2013, 07:55:39 PM
So I've finally decided on the scheme. I went with just a tone stack and a reverb. I used a modified fender control scheme,
With 270pf, .022mf, and .15mf caps and a 4k7 resistor. I've included a DPDT switch for the reverb, and it has 2- b50k pots.
I used an A25K for Treb and Bass, and an A5K for middle. I also got an A50K for the master volume pot. Each is modular,
So if something's not quite right i can pop it out by sections. Wired up everything i could on perfboard. Still waiting on the
TG PCB though. I plan on building the ROG Azabache and the Ube Reamer as stand-alones. The speaker i got is a celestion
G12-75 (i think) i got it off Fleabay and am still waiting for it to arrive.
let me know how your tonestack project go. Its pretty interesting for me. How would you connect it to the TG?

Somicide

Quote from: Moxienator on April 24, 2013, 09:49:37 PM
Sent my payment on 4/12, haven't recieved it as of 4/24, so maybe like 2 weeks?
Hopefully it'll be here soon!
OK, ordered mine on 4/15.  Just itching to start!
Peace 'n Love

Moxienator

@jogina- i have it rigged up on perf board right now. The input of the tone stack comes
From U1A via the volume pots' lug #1 pad on the TG. The signal can be switched to then go
Either directly to the volume pot lug#1, or through the reverb pedal that is built in and then to
The volume pot.
I was thinking of adding the Lead channel using an ROG Azabache, but from everyone's advice
And the added complexity of the controls, i decided to leave it out and stick with just the 'verb.

@Somicide- i know exactly how you feel!

Rock_on

Nice!!! \m/ i found 26v AC PSU 4 or 3 amp!!

♪(*^^)o∀*∀o(^^*)♪ cheers!!

How to lower it?

Edit:

I mean what Ic regulator?

Jdansti

Good!  You're getting closer. Now you need to rectify it to DC, smooth out the ripple, and drop/regulate the voltage.

For the rectification, you'll need 4 diodes. They can be any of the following: 1N4003, 1N4004, 1N4005, 1N4006, 1N4007.

Then you'll need a capacitor to smooth out the AC. This can be 470μF - 1000 μF.

Now the hard part. You'll need a regulator. It can be a fixed output or adjustable. If you can't find an LM338, try looking for an LM1084-12 or LM1084-ADJ. See the drawings below for using these.

If you can't find a regulator, an automotive regulator might work, but I'm not sure about how to connect it. I believe that these have an extra contact that goes to a relay inside so that it's only active when the alternator has output. Maybe someone can help you with that if its your only option.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Rock_on

But what i have is 26 not 24

Will it work? I mean the IC.

Jdansti

Sorry-Yes, 26vac will work fine
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

BTW-If you happen to have access to a 12V battery for a small vehicle such as a motorcycle, scooter, golf cart, etc., that would work too as long as you have a way to charge it. The amp would use very little juice compared to the battery capacity, so you wouldn't have to recharge it that often. If a friend has a charger or if you buy a small cheap charger, that would be another option. Kinda bulky, but it would work. Just recharge it when it gets down below 11V. If you did this, you could omit the regulator on the TGA board.

Other options:

*The output of a cheap 2A battery charger might work if you cleaned it up with some filtering capacitors. No batteries required.

* Not as economical in the long run as a lead-acid battery mentioned above, but you could power if off of eight to ten D cell batteries connected in series to get 12V-15V. I'm not sure how long they would last, but they have higher capacity than 9v batteries.

*Rechargeable D cell alkaline or NiCads.

*Two 6V or one 12V lantern batteries.
  • SUPPORTER

artifus

golf cart?! what kinda world do you live in?! hang on - i'll just pop over in my personal jet to see for myself...  :P

garcho

Quote from: Jdansti on April 26, 2013, 12:43:53 PM
BTW-If you happen to have access to a 12V battery for a small vehicle such as a motorcycle, scooter, golf cart, etc.,

Sounds reasonable to me.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"