Vintage EH Memory Man suddenly dark sounding and volume drop.

Started by BDuguay, October 01, 2017, 11:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDuguay

I have this very clean non deluxe memory man that has been modded to include a pot for volume where the "Boost In" input once was. This pedal was functioning fine but now it has gotten very dark when engaged and exhibits a slight volume drop. The volume discrepancy might be a byproduct of the loss of high end however. The added volume pot still works.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to begin sorting this out?
Thanks as always.
B.

R.G.

How vintage is vintage?  If it's a survivor of the 70s or 80s, I personally would replace all the electros and see if it gets well. There are a number of syndromes that give you tone change with failing or decrepit electros. You could save a lot of time, and at the same time give it a much longer life by doing this. And if that was not THE problem, it certainly won't hurt it if you don't accidentally fump up the replacement.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

BDuguay

70's for sure. I was wondering about that very suggestion. Especially since this is an AC unit. Thanks R.G.
B.