better compressor pedal??

Started by mr_deadmaxxx, February 09, 2011, 06:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR

> raise this page from the dead ... a way to meter how much Gain Reduction is going on ...an LM3915

• SUPPORTER

O

Out of all the layouts posted on this thread (for the Merlin compressor), are any of them verified and ready to build? I want to start on a compressor project for this weekend, but I don't want to make a layout if there is one out there that is verified (reinventing the wheel and all that...)

Thanks!

merlinb

Quote from: O on February 25, 2012, 02:24:18 AM
Out of all the layouts posted on this thread (for the Merlin compressor), are any of them verified and ready to build? I want to start on a compressor project for this weekend, but I don't want to make a layout if there is one out there that is verified (reinventing the wheel and all that...)
To be honest, I wouldn't bother to build that design now. I have a far superior compressor in the pipeline, which should be released in a few weeks. It uses an LM13700 and a couple of opamps, and has performance that will shatter all the other DIY compressors. Watch this space... :icon_twisted:

O

Quote from: merlinb on February 25, 2012, 11:12:08 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't bother to build that design now. I have a far superior compressor in the pipeline, which should be released in a few weeks. It uses an LM13700 and a couple of opamps, and has performance that will shatter all the other DIY compressors. Watch this space... :icon_twisted:

allrighty then... I'll keep my eyes on this thread.  ;)

deadastronaut

ooh oohhh me too...been thinking of building a comp.... :icon_cool: :icon_cool: :icon_cool:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

merlinb

A better compressor is coming...

• Four times more headroom than a Dynacomp?
  • Half the noise of a Dynacomp?
  • Same available sustain as a Dynacomp?
  • Fewer parts and cheaper than a Dynacomp?
  • Possibility for all five knobs?
  • Fits in a 1590B?
  • Millennium bypass?

If you answered 'yes' to all of the above, then you might be the Engineer's thumb.... Just to wet your appetite, he's a sneak preview:

mr_deadmaxxx

Maik

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

nobodysweasel

Mustachio

Awwww yeah!  ;D CANT WAIT FOR FINAL CIRCUIT! OMG! *dies*  :icon_eek:

Ah I love compressors! this looks great cant wait to build it!
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

waltk

Me too.+++

I've got my LM13700s on order.  When you're ready, post a schematic.

About the BC327; what would be good replacements for that? 2N2907? 2N4403?

petey twofinger

this is soo off topic but ;

i updated VLC media player tonight and the new version includes an audio compressor !

i have been moaning about that for years . now i can watch movies and tv at all hours of the morning without having to constantly jerk the volume up and down with the mouse . yea VLC !!!!

it has an eq as well and its a bit off the path to save the all the settings but man is it nice .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

jubal81

Four times the headroom with a 9V supply? Alchemy!

merlinb

I'll post the schem when I have finished decorating the enclosure and done sound clips. The actual circuit is finalised though. Very layout unconfirmed, but thoroughly checked so far!

Quote from: waltk on April 13, 2012, 10:00:49 PM
About the BC327; what would be good replacements for that? 2N2907? 2N4403?
Any PNP should work if you take care to check the pinout. 2N3906 and any of those you mentioned should be OK. Not sure how you choose your transistors in the US!

Four times the headroom with a 9V supply?
It may run on 9V but the Dyna has less than 1Vp-p headroom! Not too hard to improve on that...

waltk

QuoteI'll post the schem when I have finished decorating the enclosure and done sound clips.

Thanks Merlin.  Can't wait to see it...

QuoteNot sure how you choose your transistors in the US!

We start by picking anything that doesn't start with BC  :).

Seriously, the 2n3904 and 2n3906 are probably the cheapest and most widely available.  I would use these first (for NPN and PNP respectively) unless there was a specific requirement for some other characteristic (like higher or lower hFE).  I noticed the BC327 supports Collector current up to 800ma, but the 2N3906 has an absolute maximum Collector current of 200ma - that's why I asked.

gritz

Quote from: merlinb on April 13, 2012, 05:56:50 AM
Just to wet your appetite, he's a sneak preview:

:icon_eek: :icon_razz: Feedforward? Or are these old eyes missing something? (apart from an R10!)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing it taking shape merlinb!

merlinb

bonaventura

i just finished my first compressor (optical) when this thread caught my attention.

looking forward to schematic and a bit of explaining of whats really going in there for us newbies.

believe a new thread is in order for this circut.