Give me your opinion, Fuzz Face DC jack or not?

Started by soggybag, January 18, 2011, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Hides-His-Eyes on March 15, 2011, 10:53:41 AM
Single use batteries are horrible things, and generations from now people will be cursing us for ever using them.

a MAX1044 costs the same as three batteries, and you can easily fit one on a daughterboard that will slot in next to the DC jack.

dollar stores in the US routinely have 2 or 3 packs of 9v (for $1...we actually have an .89 cent store), the batteries seem to last forever in vintage fuzzes, and other cool tones appear when the battery fades.

but, for modern effects, I'd go with a jack without thinking

always think outside the box

petemoore

The others are comparable as apples and oranges.
  AC/DC conversion and related noise or buildup issues only are a bother during and before a Spyder build, or workalike buy.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Brossman

Quote from: Joe Hart on March 15, 2011, 04:26:46 PM
Put one in. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.
-Joe Hart

I +1 this, wholeheartedly.  Sometimes, it's great to have a PS to plug up to.  But again, sometimes there is no place for a plug to go into an outlet, no extension cords, and too many things plugged into the same strip can be hazardous (if anything, to your boxes...).  Ergo, if need be, you can have a battery for when conditions are shotty...
Gear: Epi Les Paul (archtop) w/ 490R in the neck, and SD '59N in the bridge; Silvertone 1484 w/ a WGS G15C

Still a tubey noobie. Been doing this a while, and still can't figure much out, smh.

BoxOfSnoo

Single use batteries are horrible things, and generations from now people will be cursing us for ever using them.

a MAX1044 costs the same as three batteries, and you can easily fit one on a daughterboard that will slot in next to the DC jack.

Madbean makes an awesome one, called the RoadRage.  Fully populated it can also provide +18V and +RV (I have +12V) as well as -9V.
My Dropbox referral link - bonus 250MB of space for both of us if you use it

trjones1

Whenever people mention the MAX1044, I have to bring up the TC1044.  It works the same as the MAX, is rated to handle input voltages up to 12V (as opposed to 10.5V for the MAX, iirc) and is a third the price.  It's available through Mouser (and probably others).  I've used them in PNP fuzzes and it works great.

Gordo

Quote from: BoxOfSnoo on March 16, 2011, 11:56:09 AM
Madbean makes an awesome one, called the RoadRage.  Fully populated it can also provide +18V and +RV (I have +12V) as well as -9V.

+1 for the RoadRage. Tiny little board can be fit pretty much anywhere.
Bust the busters
Screw the feeders
Make the healers feel the way I feel...