[phuncgnosis] Hum is twice louder then guitar's signal

Started by enq, March 07, 2011, 04:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enq

Hello, this is my first post here. Don't beat my hands if I posted in wrong section.
Tonight I've built phuncgnosis using a vero layout by Totems (which was posted by him back in  2006). I tried it with Ibanez GTA10 and my handmade Noisy Cricket mk2, and with both amps I had the same problem: it quacks, but hum is louder than guitar's signal (I have a stock Ibanez GRX70 if it matters...).
The second problem is, when up-sweep is on (3 LEDs tied to +9v are engaged) it responses too late, i.e.  there's 1 second between the stroke and wah response. When i play fast, there's just no wah. Did anyone face the same problems?

I did substitute the only 50k resistor with a 47k... Is this what's gone wrong?
diodes are 1n4148, LEDs are some nameless ones with working voltage 2.5V

Thanks in advance,
enq

Noisy Cricket mk2 (w/ USSR KP303E transistor)
Phuncgnosis (finished & sold)
Wah Probe (finished & sold)

enq

Bump.
edit button disappeared. I also replaced 5M resistor with a 5.6M

enq

Bump again. I'm facing a more serious problem.
I finished the up-sweep section (with 1 LED to GND), and it works well WHEN I play quiet.
When I strum louder, giutar sound turns into a terrible scream at frequency approx. equal 1st string on 19th - 20th  fret.
I changed 1M pot with a 50K (because the rest 950K just don't give any wah). Also, I added a 2,2 nF ceramic capacitor parallel with R11 to remove distortion
(see layout below). And it DOES remove dist. in downsweep (3 LEDs) mode. Without this capacitor scream remains and distortion comes.
SOUNDCLIP: http://ubuntuone.com/p/goX/
Any ideas?..

thanks