[software] Guitar FX MIDI automation?

Started by JimRayden, March 08, 2011, 07:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimRayden

Hi,

One can change programs on a MIDI-enabled effects processor. I was wondering on the possibility of finer and more advanced live control of a fully MIDI-supported effects unit. For example, to turn a normal pitch shifter into an arppegiator. Or creating a seek-wah like effect with a predefined pattern to the exact tempo of the MIDI master.

I assume it is possible but I would like to know what software would be the most comfortable to use in such case. I would need to sequence these parameter changes and get them into my DAW (in a .mid file perhaps?)

-----------
Jimbo

potul

So you want to control this from a PC?. I think Ableton Live should be able to do MIDI automation.

Mat

JimRayden

Yes, PC.

I have been using MIDI tracks mainly for note information for VSTi's, I am a bit hazy about hardware automation and how do I go about programming these events (parameters, continuous controllers and such) without actually having to record them off of a hardware controller (because I need precision).

----------
Jimbo

potul

It depends on the environment you want to use it in.
If you only need it for recording, any MIDI sequencer should to the trick, I think. Or... use the DAW automation features.
If it is for live performance, take a look at Ableton Live, I think it is designed for this kind of things.

Mat

JimRayden

[edit] I need it for live performing. In addition to the accompanying audio track, I use MIDI messaging to send note info to an external vocoder. I would also like to control a MIDI guitar effects processor.

Ableton Live is a good but expensive suggestion. Let's move to the realm of freeware.

I guess the last resort would be Pure Data translating note input from a MIDI track into the continuous controller values controlling the pitch shifter pitch or parametric filter frequency. This would be done by either somehow getting the pd patch to act as a VST plugin or sending DAW MIDI output to the pd itself.

I'm just speculating here, I bet there's a simpler free way of doing that.

----------
Jimbo

levon

You will need to check the Midi datasheet of your Guitar Effects processor

I have used Cubase to sequence my Zoom 9.2, the problem with it was most of the settings are only accessible by MIDI SYSEX, which makes it harder to use. i gave up on this cause it just took too long.