Wrong caps in Ruby

Started by mremic01, March 22, 2011, 10:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mremic01

I made the mistake of using 47uf and 100uf caps in a Ruby I built a few weeks ago, instead of the 47nf and 100nf caps called for in the schematic. It works fine and sounds decent. I didn't even realize I had done this until I was looking it over on ROG today. How would putting in the correct caps affect the sound?
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

ayayay!

It's only a mistake if it works and you don't like the sound of it.  Ha!

If you make the first cap a .047uF (47n) then you will cut out quite a bit of bass, which may be a good thing depending on how you like it.  I don't know what pin 7 is doing (sorry, no 386 info handy at the moment.)   And I'd guess the RC filter where you have the other 47uF in would sound quite a bit different too if you put the .047 in.  Looks to be kind of like a presence filter.
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

ayayay!

Here you go. http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM386.pdf  Check out some of the applications.  Very close to the Ruby.  There's good notes on the ROG article too. 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.