Potentiometer question

Started by Seven64, March 29, 2011, 11:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seven64

i found that they are really cheap on futurelec.com.  does anyone use these, or should i stick to ones from small bear?

trjones1

There are plenty of threads about the pros and cons of futurlec.  What it comes down to is price v. convenience.  Yes, futurlec pots are cheap and work fine, but shipping takes 2 weeks (if you're lucky) to 4 weeks or more.  If you are ok with this, then futurlec is a good choice.  Keep in mind that their pots only come with pcb mount pins and knurled shafts.  I prefer both these things, but other people don't like them.

I use Futurlec a lot, but some of the stuff they sell is horrible (stay away from their switches).  Other stuff is great.  For instance, they have the best quality vero board I've found and the price is unbeatable.

jefe

The futurelec pots are ok, but expect a few failures now and then. Order extras.

Check out tayda.com for even lower prices (but the shipping costs a little more), and the pots come with nifty dust covers for the back... and the shipping is much faster. Again, order extras.

LucifersTrip

I've used hundred of pots from Futurlec with only 1 or 2 failures. They are the standard 16mm posts that many builders use, so no worries there.

They also have a flat rate shipping of $4 for up to $29, so you can get 52 pots for $32.60 = .63 each
Though, as the others have said, it's a long wait for shipping. If you're in the US, it can be 2-3 weeks before they ship your order and
then another 3-4 weeks to get it. The last order I put in took nearly 2 months & they even shorted me one item. I emailed their support numerous times with no reply...so I'm done with them for now.

Tayda on the other hand is far better. The pots are .40, but the shipping is higher, but only for heavy stuff like pots. 52 will cost $37.10 = .71 each.  They have excellent customer service that answers right away in good English and they now ship from the US, so I get my stuff in less than a week

have a blast
always think outside the box

Hides-His-Eyes

Quote from: jefe on March 30, 2011, 07:28:20 AMAgain, order extras.

with the dust covers, I'd guess that tayda pots are probably MORE reliable than the standard alpha ones!

trjones1

Quote from: LucifersTrip on March 30, 2011, 08:01:22 AM
I emailed their support numerous times with no reply...so I'm done with them for now.

That's interesting.  I've always gotten prompt and helpful replies from their customer service.  When they mess up the order they send replacements quickly too.

Seven64

gonna go for the tayda ones, but ordering some various stuff from futurlec too.  why cant there be one site where you can source everything from?!?!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Seven64 on March 30, 2011, 01:54:09 PM
why cant there be one site where you can source everything from?!?!

There is  ;)

People just like to get things as cheap as they can. There is no place where EVERYHTING is in stock and EVERYTHING is CHEAP!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Seven64

Hides-His-Eyes

Mouser! No, wait, musikding! No, not quite... Uhhh...

I don't think I can get everything I want from TWO places at good prices...

Seven64

kdowqo

Quote from: LucifersTrip on March 30, 2011, 08:01:22 AMI emailed their support numerous times with no reply...so I'm done with them for nowye.

you have to use the right address, sales@futurlec.com, they have several on there site but they don't seem to answer all of 'em  :icon_neutral:

Seven64

placed my order today!  now all i need to pick up is some 9v power supplies and some 3pdt bushbutton switches and i can finish the 2 pedals im working on!

spargo

Mammoth has the best price on Alpha pots from what I've found. $0.95 each.

Perrow

Quote from: spargo on March 31, 2011, 04:10:23 AM
Mammoth has the best price on Alpha pots from what I've found. $0.95 each.

And if you read this thread you'll find two other suppliers that sells Alpha pots cheaper (shipping included).
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

tasos

Quote from: LucifersTrip on March 30, 2011, 08:01:22 AM
I've used hundred of pots from Futurlec with only 1 or 2 failures. They are the standard 16mm posts that many builders use, so no worries there.

They also have a flat rate shipping of $4 for up to $29, so you can get 52 pots for $32.60 = .63 each

in their site they say
Note: Maximum allowable weight for Standard Post shipments is 2kg. For shipments heavier than 2kg these will be shipped by Express Post at the actual shipping costs.
that means that buying a lot of pots would cost 22$ shipping or standard 4$?anyone ordered a lot of pots?
thanks....