Independently flashing LEDs

Started by dylar, May 28, 2011, 07:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dylar

I want to build a circuit with 8 flashing LEDs - and I need each LED's flash rate to be independently variable using a pot.
Does this mean I need to use 8 different 555 ICs (or 4 556s)? Or is there a simpler way to do this (and when I say simpler I also mean cheaper).
I'm not talking about a sequencer - I'm basically thinking about 8 tiny tremolos hooked up to the key switches of a keyboard.  

toneman

U can set up a single op-amp or comparator to be a variable oscillator that will drive and LED. But your 555 solution sounds easiest and cheapest.  I'm a big 555 fan!
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

frequencycentral

A single opamp LFO such as in the Phase 45 will drive an LED happily. You could make 8 out of two quad opamps such as TL074 or TL084. Beware of crowbarring the power supply if you do use 555's - 8 would click like fury unless you use the CMOS version, 7555, or 7556 duals.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

slacker

You could do it using a couple of CD40106s, or CD4013s.

The Tone God

If your okay with a square wave output then you can make a quick low part count clock source with a schmitt trigger inverter. You can get six out of a 40106 or use two 4093 to get four each for the total of eight. Power isolation and good ground routing practices would be need if you are share the audio power supply.

Andrew