Treble Bleed Post - Guitarnuts

Started by WGTP, April 06, 2011, 03:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiwoof

Quote from: aflynt on May 29, 2011, 03:06:38 PM
I tried the single .001 last night, but didn't really like it. It just sounded too thin when rolled down. I then found this Excel spreadsheet where you can plug in different settings and see a graph of the frequency response at different volume control settings: http://www.harryj.net/voltone.xls. Lollar has a handy chart with all the DCR and Q values for their pickups, so I plugged in those values and played around with R and C values for the bleed circuit in the spreadsheet until I found something that had a fairly consistant curve as the volume rolled down. I wound up using a .001 cap in parallel with a 110k resistor. The result sounds perfect all the way down.

So my advice to anyone wanting to do this would be to play around with that Excel file and find the exact values that work with your setup.

-Aaron

What I did was hook up alligator test leads across the pot lugs and tried different values of caps until I found the one that worked best, then soldered it in.   Sometimes .001uf bleeds off too much treble, you might find going down to half that value works best, it depends on the pickups.   The resistor is not always necessary, it can help to change the taper of the pot if you need that, but vintage Teles had only the .001uf cap.   I have a vintage Fender Electric XII that needed both the cap and resistor, as the taper of the pot was really abrupt.  I used the test leads to find the best combo of resistor and cap and it worked out fine.

Al