Holy Stain mods for flanger chorus and extra pots

Started by Ice-9, April 13, 2011, 05:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doclvly

Finished all the mods. It was working perfect prior to installing it in its box. now the color knob seems not to do anything. Any ideas?

phaseman

Hi there  :) !

1) get it out the box
2) make it work again
3) put it back to the box step by step
4) be careful about the grounding (maybe some part of the circuit is accidently touching the ground, or maybe you have a cold solder that behaves differently when you  move the board to install it in a box)

btw, FV1 is awesome. I've tried all the free  programs - they are all fully functional. There are super cool programs on the spin semi forum, too. I never liked dsp, but this little chip changed the world for me - so for the past 6 months or so I've been reading the documentation and experimenting with the chip.

Here is the pic of my pedal :

Bes regards,
Marko

Mark Hammer

Wow!  Nice work, guy.  Both in extracting more out of what so many consider a throwaway pedal, and i packaging it as the flexible unit it is.  I'm impressed.

Govmnt_Lacky

@Marko

I am familiar with the programs that you have listed on the right side of the pedal however,

Could you explain the programs on the Left? Most of them do not look familiar.  ;D Where did you find them? What exactly do they do? Do they sound good? Sound clips?  :o
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

phaseman

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 21, 2013, 09:30:51 AM
Wow!  Nice work, guy.  Both in extracting more out of what so many consider a throwaway pedal, and i packaging it as the flexible unit it is.  I'm impressed.

Tnx Mark, it means a lot coming from you :)

phaseman

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 21, 2013, 09:40:24 AM
@Marko

I am familiar with the programs that you have listed on the right side of the pedal however,

Could you explain the programs on the Left? Most of them do not look familiar.  ;D Where did you find them? What exactly do they do? Do they sound good? Sound clips?  :o

Ofcourse :)

I have found all of these effects on a spin semi site and forum, some are modified by me but mostly just a little bit. The main credits goes to to guys on the forum and Frank (OCT distribution)

1 - octaves - dry, -1 oct, +1 oct (like a micro pog, not aaaaaaass good, but very very good :) ) - from the forum
2 - shimmer (verbzila like) - it is just beautiful :)  - from the forum
3 - hold plus pitch plus filters - from the SS site (it works great! I used the infinite reverb algoritam to get hold (freeze like) function). Using it w/ expression pedal is very powerful (filter sweep changing)
4 - just like 3 but w/ 4 pole filter - from the SS site
5 - delay w/ chorus on repeats (optionaly) - from the forum
6 - classic ring mod - from the forum
7 - whammy - from the forum - I use an expression pedal for it
8 - reverse delay - not perfect, w/ some clicks, but it's ok (needs more work) - from the forum

I do not have yet classic sound samples (just recording from rehearsals), I shall record some soon and post it.

I hope this will not go too far in OT, because people expect to read about HS here, but let me say only this:

FV1 is excellent. As for reverbs, I have no words how good they are. Also, bunch of other modulation effects are doable in a more or less complex way. I hope I'll menage to finish the build report for the both forums, and to share my experience soon. As always, there is so little time  :-\.

Regards,
Marko

Ice-9

If anyone is still interested in the FV-1 (I done the original mods to the Holy stain in this thread) I have been working on a 1590b size enclosure size single sided 90%through hole PCB for a FV-1 which is close to release, I just have to get all the files into one place.
It has full External Eeprom with a programing port built in so no need to remove Eeprom or disassemble the pedal to program it. and uses a standard pot to change patches , so there is no need for a bulky or expensive binary/data encoder switch.

If anyone is interested I will get this all sorted and posted in a new thread.

Oh here is a little gut shot of thing
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

soffa

I bought a Holy Stain 2 years ago with the intention of modding it for an external EEPROM. I finally got around to doing it!

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Schematics-etc/Holy-Stain_Mod_1.jpg.html

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Schematics-etc/Holy-Stain_Mod_2.jpg.html

I added all three pots as I wanted to use them all in my own programs even if the onboard progs don't use them. I left the expression pedal jack connected to POT 0. I thought about adding a switch to make the parameter it controls selectable but hey - why not do it in the software?

I have been programming the EEPROMs with PonyProg2000:

http://www.lancos.com/prog.html

So far, so good - I am pretty impressed with the results and it is really easy to do. If you weren't too concerned with the pots and switches mounting on the front of the pedal it would be even easier. I'm anxious to try Digital Larry's SpinCAD out but I've had a lot of fun just with stuff I downloaded from the FV-1 forum.

- soffa

Digital Larry

Quote from: Ice-9 on May 12, 2013, 03:11:44 PM
If anyone is still interested in the FV-1

I am!  :D

Is there a schematic to look at?

Thx

DL
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

Ice-9

Quote from: soffa on August 18, 2013, 04:00:19 PM
I bought a Holy Stain 2 years ago with the intention of modding it for an external EEPROM. I finally got around to doing it!

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Schematics-etc/Holy-Stain_Mod_1.jpg.html

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Schematics-etc/Holy-Stain_Mod_2.jpg.html

I added all three pots as I wanted to use them all in my own programs even if the onboard progs don't use them. I left the expression pedal jack connected to POT 0. I thought about adding a switch to make the parameter it controls selectable but hey - why not do it in the software?

I have been programming the EEPROMs with PonyProg2000:

http://www.lancos.com/prog.html

So far, so good - I am pretty impressed with the results and it is really easy to do. If you weren't too concerned with the pots and switches mounting on the front of the pedal it would be even easier. I'm anxious to try Digital Larry's SpinCAD out but I've had a lot of fun just with stuff I downloaded from the FV-1 forum.

- soffa

Thanks sofa, I also did the same thing adding an external eeprom which I posted the info and pcb last week but seems to have disappeared, Pretty much the same as what you have done. Good work.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Ice-9

Repost of the Eeprom mod as it seems to have disappeared.
Here is a quick guide for adding an external Eeprom to the EHX Holy stain so that it can be used to load any program you want, this makes the Holy Stain a very good and cheap Dev board for anyone wanting to have a play with the FV-1 reverb/multiFx chip. If you also have done my previous mods then it will fully open up the possibilities for having some FV-1 fun.

First the PCB and connection picture.

Connections are as follows.

1. 3.3v and ground = Any 3.3v and ground connection on the PCB
2. Int/Ext switch = Purple wires, to a SPST switch
3. Three Blues wires marked 13,14,15, These go to the FV-1 chip.
Solder the wires from the Eeprom labelled 14 and 15 directly to pins on the FV-1 chip (14 and 15)
13 = pin 13 will need to be lifted from its solder pad on the main pcb so that it is floating freely just as I describe in the other mods and then a wire from the new Eeprom board point 13 soldered directly to the floating pin of the FV-1 (after doing these 3 connections apply some epoxy resin or hot glue around this so that the pin does not snap off. This can be seen in the picures of the other mods)

4. The programming wires on the external Mod PCB, coloured light blue and green, These 3 wires can be used to reprogram the Eeprom and are ground, data and clock. If you would prefer to use a socket for the Eeprom and program it off board then there is no need to connect these 3 wires, Alternatively these 3 wires could be soldered directly to a stereo mini jack socket and mounted to the enclosure making reprogramming possible without even removing the chip or in fact no need to even remove the pedal cover.

As I have quickly typed this up there may be questions you need to ask before modding, so anything you need to know just ask in this thread.

Ohh I almost forgot the Eeprom is a 24lc32a and the resistor is 10k and as its so simple a pcb making it fit on any other type of board would be a 5 minute job.

NB Slight erron on pcb..... pin 7 of eeprom should go to ground instead of +ve is onboard programming is required.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

soffa

Ice-9...

I saw your post at fsb and it made me get off my tail and dust off the holy stain - thank you!!!!

Ice-9

Quote from: soffa on August 18, 2013, 06:52:33 PM
Ice-9...

I saw your post at fsb and it made me get off my tail and dust off the holy stain - thank you!!!!

Oops ! that explains why I thought the post had disappeared here, I must have only posted it at fsb. Have you tried any other effect software in it yet?
The HolyStain turns out to be a good dev tool for FV-1 effects once all those mods are done.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

ketterman

I am jumping in a little late, but I have a working FV-1 test pedal i built in recent days and an MPLAB programmer for the EEPROM(which works great). I am interested in talking to anyone about their experience in learning the programming environment. Also wondering if the Holy Stain is a pedal that stands well on its own without modification. I will surely modify it if I buy one.

dromilious

Hello ! I have a problem with my holy stain.When it is on the bypass mode i have the guitar signal.When i turn it on the led are lighting but i have no sound.Can you please help me?

clayton9610

This is unbelievably awesome and has led me to repurchase the holy stain.  How do I program the 24lc32a?  I'm completely new to this and stumbling through google results.

Thanks!