News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

LED Tester?

Started by soupbone, April 14, 2011, 12:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesman1218

Quote from: ayayay! on April 15, 2011, 01:12:06 PM
  So bizarre, but after I swapped that resistor out it was all fine.  Tried the resistor on another LED and nothing through it would light up.  Anyone have a resistor that ohm'ed out OK but doesn't pass any current?  It was nuts!

Yeah, on my Little Angel Chorus build. Really singed my wings on that one. Read OK on and off board. Put another in and "Aaah...Aaah!" angelic chorus sounds! I check every resistor when it arrives and when taken out to use. Just goes to show ya, Murphy gets in the low voltage stuff, too....
It's all about the tone!
Steve

POPA - Plain Old Power Attenuator AVAILABLE for PURCHASE soon!
Silvertone 1482 rebuilt - switchable Tweed, tube reverb, Baxandall + / Little Angel Chorus build, tons of Modded pedals

soupbone

Quote from: .Mike on April 14, 2011, 02:27:14 AM
Quote from: soupbone on April 14, 2011, 02:21:57 AMHow is this done exactly?Do you have a pic or diagram you might be able to send me?Also,When you say alligator clip wires are you talking about the one's that you use for a multi-meter?Thank you for your help!!

Alligator clips (test leads): http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-low-voltage-multi-colored-test-leads-66717.html

Clip one test lead to the battery positive. Clip the other end of that test lead to the resistor.

Clip another test lead to the other side of the resistor. Clip the other end of that test lead to the positive side of the LED.Hey Mike,I found out another way you can do it that my friend Mark showed me;It's basically the same way you do it,but a little differn't.Take a 3 pin female connector,cut the yellow wire off.Then get a battery snap and solder the black wires form the female connector to the snap,and solder the red wires together with the resistor in the middle.Hook the battery snap to a 9v battery.Then just stick the led in the holes of the connector.(you have try out 2 of the holes and see which ones light the led up and just mark it with a pen.)

Clip another test lead to the negative side of the LED. Clip the other end of that test lead to the battery negative.

:)

Mike

soupbone

Sorry Mike,I wrote my message right in the middle of your messge! :icon_redface:

BDuguay

Quote from: Maik on April 14, 2011, 02:55:31 AM
Check your voltmeter. Can you check transistors with that? If yes-C and E on PNP. Put the LED in and it will light up.
This has my interest.  Of course now I'll need it explained to me. Please. :icon_redface:
B.

soupbone

Quote from: BDuguay on April 26, 2011, 09:32:14 AM
Quote from: Maik on April 14, 2011, 02:55:31 AM
Check your voltmeter. Can you check transistors with that? If yes-C and E on PNP. Put the LED in and it will light up.
This has my interest.  Of course now I'll need it explained to me. Please. :icon_redface:
B.
He was saying you can also check it with a multimeter.It has a to have a transistor checker on it.There's holes where you can check transistors.There's a collector(C)-emitter(E)-base(B).He's saying to use the holes with the C(Collector)and B(Base) on the PNP side(there's a NPN side and a PNP side).You can also do it the way i mentioned above in mark's message i quoted from.(i accidentlly wrote it in the body of his meassge.oops!),with a battery snap,9v battery,3 hole female connector pin and a resistor(4.7k to 2.2 k).

BDuguay

I never thought about it before but I guess there's a voltage available on the transistor testing port on my multi meter. Essentially, that explains how it works yes?
B.

soupbone

Quote from: BDuguay on April 26, 2011, 04:29:04 PM
I never thought about it before but I guess there's a voltage available on the transistor testing port on my multi meter. Essentially, that explains how it works yes?
B.
Yessir

BDuguay

Well that's just flippin brilliant innit?
B.

soupbone

Quote from: BDuguay on April 27, 2011, 07:47:36 AM
Well that's just flippin brilliant innit?
B.
That it is! :icon_smile: