What Defines "Hand Built"?!

Started by Paul Marossy, April 26, 2011, 11:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

the original thread was about false claims - generally speaking, nothing to do with MI until page 5.

some are claims on the wrong side of a thin line, and some are just wrong.

the "beyond boutique" is ironic to the originally discussion, unintentionally it can show that at some point a pedal becomes good enough that it has to leave the boutique nest completely. i just didn't beat around the bush about it. i wish the world could be open, but i know it can't happen.

it sounds nasty, but i'm trying to say that you can use cheap wire (as i put it, which make it look attacking, but take it LITERALLY. as contrary to cloth wire, teflon, magic voodoo gold) and slap something together. it won't sound different in this case! functionality will be exactly the same.

you know michael, you say i don't like you, but really read over what you quoted. take it honestly and literally and there's nothing defaming that i've said there...

i don't like things you've said, and that's personal and not appropriate here.

now i have to post this in the other tread to defend myself. COPY+PASTE warning.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Govmnt_Lacky

Is this one of those multi-forum slap sessions??  ::)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

darron

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 03, 2011, 09:47:39 PM
Is this one of those multi-forum slap sessions??  ::)

both cheeks are red. yes.

keep on the original track. there's another forum where it's steered in a different direction away from this topic now, so that should be sorted i think.

hope you guys are getting a kick out a bit of controversy at least.

i suppose it's very easy to get angry, frustrated etc. people here are here because they are enthusiasts! of course they should be passionate. i am. and so was Paul back in page 1!

ClinchFX

This is the first test of a new PCB.  For production, we use a syringe to place solder paste on all pads.  Then we hand place the components and reflow the solder paste using a combination of convection and a hand held hot air tool, similar to the now obsolete Hakko 852.

As sales grow, we will have the boards done with pick and place, which is potentially more reliable than hand soldering.  There is a good electronics assembly shop in our home city.

We currently jig drill the pedal enclosures.  It is mindless and boring work, but the jig makes it more accurate than hand marking.  I have searched for a small engineering company that can CNC drill the enclosures, but, so far, even the small shops are only interested in doing multi thousand quantities.

For the moment, we feel quite justified in calling our products hand made.

Peter.
ClinchFX Hand Made Effects Pedals

http://www.clinchfx.com

michael_ibrahim

Ronan

I had to watch that video twice, no, 3 times, there was some real emotion in that guitar track.
Haven't heard anything like that for a long time...thanks!

darron

Quote from: ClinchFX on September 04, 2011, 02:13:52 AM
This is the first test of a new PCB.  For production, we use a syringe to place solder paste on all pads.  Then we hand place the components and reflow the solder paste using a combination of convection and a hand held hot air tool, similar to the now obsolete Hakko 852.

+1 add to favourites and like

ClinchFX

Quote from: Ronan on September 05, 2011, 04:27:27 AM
I had to watch that video twice, no, 3 times, there was some real emotion in that guitar track.
Haven't heard anything like that for a long time...thanks!

Thanks, I've passed your comment on to the young guy who played it.
ClinchFX Hand Made Effects Pedals

http://www.clinchfx.com

Paul Marossy

As sales grow, we will have the boards done with pick and place, which is potentially more reliable than hand soldering.  There is a good electronics assembly shop in our home city.

We currently jig drill the pedal enclosures.  It is mindless and boring work, but the jig makes it more accurate than hand marking.  I have searched for a small engineering company that can CNC drill the enclosures, but, so far, even the small shops are only interested in doing multi thousand quantities.

For the moment, we feel quite justified in calling our products hand made.

That's different than having something made completely by machines in China but having "handmade in the USA" printed onto the product. That's basically a big lie.

Ice-9

This is the first test of a new PCB.  For production, we use a syringe to place solder paste on all pads.  Then we hand place the components and reflow the solder paste using a combination of convection and a hand held hot air tool, similar to the now obsolete Hakko 852.

As sales grow, we will have the boards done with pick and place, which is potentially more reliable than hand soldering.  There is a good electronics assembly shop in our home city.

We currently jig drill the pedal enclosures.  It is mindless and boring work, but the jig makes it more accurate than hand marking.  I have searched for a small engineering company that can CNC drill the enclosures, but, so far, even the small shops are only interested in doing multi thousand quantities.

For the moment, we feel quite justified in calling our products hand made, Or handbuild rather.

Peter.

Thats pretty much how i make my own SMD boards, I consider that handmade.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

darron

another one post member?

welcome to the forum Causa Sui (: