Zakk and jerry wahs

Started by 23, April 28, 2011, 07:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone know what mods were done to both or either one of the two of the Zakk Wylde and Jerry Cantrell wahs compared to the original classic cry baby?
put it together, now take it apart

joegagan

i have no idea, but after hearing the soundclips of the cantrell, i would be looking for a bass wah sized .068 voice cap. or thereabouts.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

joegagan

should have said Q cap. you know the one that is typically .015.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

DiscoVlad

From the gutshots I've seen (and can no longer find unfortunately) Both of these use the standard GCB-95 board, but with some changes.

Zakk:
Metal film resistors, 22nF sweep cap, Red Fasel inductor.

Jerry:
12nF sweep cap, 5k pot in series on the ground side of the sweep pot.

azrael

IIRC, the Cantrell wah is very similar to the Dimebag wah or 535Q?

YouAre

Quote from: azrael on April 29, 2011, 07:26:40 AM
IIRC, the Cantrell wah is very similar to the Dimebag wah or 535Q?

Neither. GCB 95 board just like the Wylde Wah ( ::pinch harmonic:: ) DiscoVlad's got it right.

azrael

Ah, so it just has the "fine tune" knob from the Dimebag wah?

YouAre

Quote from: azrael on April 29, 2011, 12:04:58 PM
Ah, so it just has the "fine tune" knob from the Dimebag wah?

No, I don't think so. If i'm not mistaken, the Fine Tune knob is just a lower value Q pot, so you can get more in between values.

The JC wah has a knob in between the ground on the lug on the wah pot that normally goes to ground. This gives a "minimum value" to the voltage divider so that it'll mess with the "throw" of the rocker pedal. Pretty nifty.

DiscoVlad

Incoming derail potential...

*opens up his 535Q Crybaby*

This uses SMT components, and is used for several models...
Listed are:
GCB-95 (presumably standard crybabies use SMT now?)
535Q
95Q

The Dimebag crybaby also uses this board, as there are pads for the swapped power and input jacks, the Red/Green LED switching, and the extra potentiometer for adjusting the range (5k in series with sweep pot, same as the Cantrell). The DB wah has the same 1k in series with the inductor Q adjustment and volume boost pots that the 535 does.

I suspect the Slash model also uses this board too... There's pads for at least another 2 pots, and I'm guessing the distortion switch uses the volume boost circuit from the 535 with higher (adjustable) gain, and/or diode clipping.

The two PCBs (or if they're all SMT now, One PCB) would cover every model except the DC2SR rackmount wah... which even then probably uses the 535 board + another one for switching the 6 possible remote controllers.

Back to the point:

The Dimebag, and Jerry crybabies both use a 5k pot in series with the 100k sweep pot to adjust the range (increasing the value of the sweep pot lowers the frequency range of the wah)

The Dimebag one has a 9mm pot mounted on the PCB, the Jerry one has a 16mm pot mounted to the chassis)

DiscoVlad

Quote from: DiscoVlad on April 29, 2011, 07:43:51 PM

Listed are:
535Q
95Q

The Dimebag crybaby also uses this board, as there are pads for the swapped power and input jacks, the Red/Green LED switching, and the extra potentiometer for adjusting the range (5k in series with sweep pot, same as the Cantrell). The DB wah has the same 1k in series with the inductor Q adjustment and volume boost pots that the 535 does.

I suspect the Slash model also uses this board too... There's pads for at least another 2 pots, and I'm guessing the distortion switch uses the volume boost circuit from the 535 with higher (adjustable) gain, and/or diode clipping.

The two PCBs (or if all the models are SMT now, One PCB) would cover every model except the DC2SR rackmount wah... which even then probably uses the 535 board + another one for switching the 6 possible remote controllers.

Back to the point:

The Dimebag, and Jerry crybabies both use a 5k pot in series with the 100k sweep pot to adjust the range (increasing the value of the sweep pot lowers the frequency range of the wah)

The Dimebag one has a 9mm pot mounted on the PCB, the Jerry one has a 16mm pot mounted to the chassis)

YouAre

Quote from: DiscoVlad on April 29, 2011, 07:43:51 PM

Listed are:
535Q
95Q

The two PCBs (or if they're all SMT now, One PCB) would cover every model except the DC2SR rackmount wah... which even then probably uses the 535 board + another one for switching the 6 possible remote controllers.

Back to the point:

I been schooled!

soupbone

A friend of mine brought over his cry baby to mod for him,and i saw all the smd components.It just made me sad.So,i ripped out his pcb and built one!

joegagan

roger that. the oklahoma way!

soupbone

Thanks guys, good info...... gonna throw a yellow fasel in it tho :icon_biggrin: hey joe have you ever tried wiring two pots in reverse positions and using the smae treadle to control both at the same time or i maybe rambling................

joegagan

so how did this work joe? Good, bad, ugly?

joegagan

worked great for a long time, it is a twin t wah and a real fuzzfactory stuffed in a wah shell. no physical probs at all.the 100 k pots is for the wah portion, and the other one controls something on the fuzzfactory, i don't remember what.

the biggest problem is getting the two pots aligned with each other, i recommend max flexibility on the added pot for gearing the two pots relative to each other.  hence thje second setscrew.