"Jangle" mods for the Dynacomp ? please check this one

Started by Xavier, May 06, 2011, 10:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

I just finished my Dynacomp and I have to say i like it MUCH better that the Ross -that I used for a while-. I like bright, cutting, squishy compressors and this seems to be very good at that.

I would like to have the option t make it brighter if needed, and looking around the internet I've come across this at Sabro Design's site

If you use a 3-position on-off-on SPDT toggle for this, then the sensible way to wire it up is as follows.

* Replace the 150k resistor on the board with a 10k+150k pair in series, installed like a "St. Louis arch" with their junction pointing up; be sure to leave a little extra lead from the 150k resistor sticking out on the component side of the board, which you'll need for the other steps below.
* Run a lead from the junction of the 150k+10k pair to the common (centre lug) on the switch.
* Run a lead from the other end of the 150k resistor to one of the outside lugs on the switch.
* Solder a 39k resistor from the unused lug of the toggle to the other *outside* lug."

Apparently this is from Mark Hammer (or at least that's what is mentioned).

This seems to be completely different than the usual "lift the 0,001 mF cap" mod that I see normally.

Has anybody ever tried this ?

Mark Hammer

Wat you are describing is not a "jangle" mod but rather a change in gain-cell recovery time.  EHX has implemented a similar 3-position switch on the current Nano-series Soul Preacher.  Whether it uses the exact resistance values, I have no idea, but I assume they aimed for a "medium" setting that was somewhere around a perceived halfway mark in recovery time (roughly 4:1 change from 10k to 39k, and 4:1 again from 39k to 160k).

This dos not add any treble beyond what is there, but it does allow the initial attack of any subsequent notes rapidly played to be heard, which can sound like more treble.