escobedo's ugly face video demo

Started by pinkjimiphoton, May 07, 2011, 09:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Bailey

Here's the latest schematic showing the variable shape control and switchable filter sweep;

http://www.avwz35.dsl.pipex.com/uglyface lfo & mods v2.bmp

gigimarga

Ver nice work Mick! Thank you a lot!

But, please, can you explain me how to wire the mod for the Frequency pot?
In the original schematic it's a 100k pot wired in this way:
- 1 leg to the 470 ohms resistor
- 2 leg to the pin 3 of the 555
- 3 leg before the 0.1uF output cap

Can you said me in the same manner how to wire the mod?

Thank you a lot!

Mick Bailey

Yes,

1. Replace the original 100k pot in the schematic with a 220k pot. The circuit is wired the same but now has a 220k pot.

2. Now, solder a 22k resistor between 2 leg and 3 leg.

Hope this makes sense.

Mick

gigimarga

Thank you very much Mick!

I did it as you said from the beginning, but the Frequency doesn't act very well. Mainly, it has only 2 or 3 points where are siginificant changes in the sound.
I used a PCB on which I made a lot of mods, so I think that I must to rebuild it from scratch on perf or vero.

Best regards,
Radu

chi_boy

Quote from: Mick Bailey on November 05, 2011, 05:36:54 PM
Yes,

1. Replace the original 100k pot in the schematic with a 220k pot. The circuit is wired the same but now has a 220k pot.

2. Now, solder a 22k resistor between 2 leg and 3 leg.

Hope this makes sense.

Mick

So it's like this?

Based on the mod file I would have sworn it was like this:

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

Mick Bailey

Your first drawing is how I intended it. Will update my mods page to clarify that the wiper still needs to connect to the LDR. You're right - it is misleading.

chi_boy

Quote from: Mick Bailey on November 06, 2011, 05:23:36 AM
Your first drawing is how I intended it. Will update my mods page to clarify that the wiper still needs to connect to the LDR. You're right - it is misleading.

Mick, thanks for the confirmation!
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

digi2t

Since you swapped out the shape switch for a pot (cool idea btw), would it be possible to swap out the sweep switch for a pot as well. Just a weird-ass idea.

Weird-ass idea number 2; I was looking at this diagram, showing a triangle/square shape switch.

Overlays with the Uglyface LFO I find. I wonder what a square waved LFO would sound like on the Ug Ug Ug Ug Ly Ly Ly Ly Fa Fa Fa Fa Ce Ce Ce Ce?  :icon_lol: Maybe another pot to fade from triangle to square? Like here;

I'm sorry, but my UF is packed away in a box, and it'll be a real PITA to dig it out and try. I'm just thinking out loud.  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

duck_arse

yes, I know it's more than 120 days, leave me alone .....

ohh, did I type that? ahem. well now, I see a lot's a talkin about this lfo mod, but no where here nor googoo can I find a circuit diagram of same connected to the ugly face. and yes, I also know what the dual opamp tri-sq osc looks like, I just wanna see the circuit. does anyone have said diagram?

please don't post a vero layout.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

GibsonGM

Quote from: duck_arse on September 20, 2014, 12:40:04 PM
yes, I know it's more than 120 days, leave me alone .....

ohh, did I type that? ahem. well now, I see a lot's a talkin about this lfo mod, but no where here nor googoo can I find a circuit diagram of same connected to the ugly face. and yes, I also know what the dual opamp tri-sq osc looks like, I just wanna see the circuit. does anyone have said diagram?

please don't post a vero layout.

+1, can we have it, please??    Didn't catch Jimi's vid when it first came out...that's a sick pedal, man!!!   On my list now....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

duck_arse

ohhh, gibson, hold fire a little on building. I gotta redesign going at the mo, with dividers on everything - sounds like throat singing, probably up/down sweep as well. there might be room for this ledgendary lfo addition, but when I tried one on early breadboard, it didn't sound much more than a tremolo.

I am in no position to view videos I'm afraid; I didn't realise this was a video-themed thread until just after I pressed "Post".

GibsonGM

I'd like to see what you have, DA!    Whatever LFO Jimi hacked into this thing sounds really nice....he seems to have been able to get one that can sweep pretty fast and phasey, but also one that can be dialed back to go so slow as to sound a little bit like a VCF. 

I meant to try this circuit years ago - I have the right 555 somewhere in the pile that I'd ordered for it - but then got onto other pressing things.   Re-finding the video just sparked that interest again, hee hee.    I'll probably just breadboard for now...

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

nocentelli

I thought it was the tremulus lune as per the vero doing the rounds
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

GibsonGM

Oh, the LFO's from the Trem Lune?     I'd like to see the whole thing in schematic form, as Jimi has it in the vid....
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

well, I can't show what I got, cause I don't know what it is yet. and the paper I'm drawing on is starting to get thin from erasering, it all changed again today. I've added divider-led drive to the madness, for some hilarious bird whistles. I can see at least 3 places to try lfo, but if there is a set working place it'll save me some messing about.

GibsonGM

This one really NEEDS to be documented. I've seen the vero (of course), but that's just...a vero.  We need a schematic with updates to show the LFO 'insertion' point, and maybe to document some of the successful mods people have been talking about!    Just my 2 cents. 

DA, photocopy your paper, then you can write over the NEW copy!  Ha ha...
  • SUPPORTER

Luke51411

Check out grindcustoms machete. I think that might be what you are looking forwww.grindcustomsfx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=611

GibsonGM

Quote from: Luke51411 on September 22, 2014, 06:12:46 PM
Check out grindcustoms machete. I think that might be what you are looking forwww.grindcustomsfx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=611

Looks like that's the one, Luke! Thanks a lot; I had to satisfy my curiosity, and this thread seemed to cry out for a schematic to go with the vero :)    Nice add, buddy. 

I'll be building it over the coming week when I can get some time.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

to a point, excellent! a circuit! (needs a series resistor on the led; it's the rule.)

gibson - I started a new piece of paper today. just imagine a blank rectangle, white, some smudge in the corner. that's how far I've gotten. I have switched breadboards tho, and starting from the front-end. again.

GibsonGM

Ha, I love a 'new' breadboard!  That's why I'm getting interested in this - can't have an open breadboard around too long, it's bad luck! 
  • SUPPORTER