someone upped this on "another" forum...worth a look!!!!!

Started by pinkjimiphoton, May 08, 2011, 12:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

yah bro, the fuzz does get a lot weaker...when ya kick in the mod it makes a huge difference.
when mine broke (the 150r trimmer) the fuzz was the only thing working...and it was KILLER. it appears a lot of the gain from the fuzz is swallowed by the formant part,
i bet rg could figure it out. but it's way above my paygrade! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

i just sent a message to that guy on ebay about the phase II...it's up to 2,750 $ american at this point, with about 17 hours to go.

of course i have no intention of BUYING it....don't need to...but i wanna see what his response is.

my message:

Dear hellbilly_03,

curious...do all the lamps work? switches? have you tested the unit? why no returns? what if it has issues? it appears a few of the lamps are NOT working...i hate to snipe in a huge bid on an item that may not be 100% functional. i AM familiar with these, and know how to repair them, but i would want some assurance that the unit is 100% functional other than the lamps. thanks.

- phatj

ain't i a stinker?  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

digi2t

You most certainly are brother! But, at the moment, that dude's got 2750 reasons not to give a crap.

13 hours left, I think it'll go over 3 grand. If that's the case, I'm praying that the clone works out, and I'm putting mine on the block. I can get all sorts of great stuff for my studio with 2 or 3 grand. :icon_wink:

Or.... some gear for my new acqusition...

Get your motor runnin', head out on the highway :icon_cool: :icon_cool: :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pinkjimiphoton

sweet!!! road trip!!!
;)

it's still hangin at 2750....will be interesting to see where it goes!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

heard from him...

get your waders on...lol

Only the stereo lamp does not light up...Aside from that the unit works 100%
On all high dollar vintage sales the are as is.
This is a qutoe from a 30000 dollar item on ebay right now that was john paul jone's Moog
.Due to nature of vintage instruments,sold as is and no return.
All switches work ...yes I have tested the unit and compared it to my other 2 Ludwig Phase II's

- hellbilly_03
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

theundeadelvis

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on July 12, 2011, 09:51:26 PM
heard from him...

get your waders on...lol

Only the stereo lamp does not light up...Aside from that the unit works 100%
On all high dollar vintage sales the are as is.
This is a qutoe from a 30000 dollar item on ebay right now that was john paul jone's Moog
.Due to nature of vintage instruments,sold as is and no return.
All switches work ...yes I have tested the unit and compared it to my other 2 Ludwig Phase II's

- hellbilly_03

You know who he is (the seller)? I used to deal with him a little and know him by his ID. It's Hank III! The grandson of Hank Williams.
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

pinkjimiphoton

no way!!!! that's cool as hell...!!!!!!!!!

well, good luck to him...if he has two other ones, then that accounts for a couple more of 'em!   :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

it went for 2,750 + 70 bux shipping.  :icon_eek:

i've seen 'em go higher!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

digi2t

OK, we might be getting closer to the hand of God here. Just had another exchange with the guy whose close to the Ludwigs, and he's found the name, and is getting in touch with, the guy who actually brought this sucker to life back in the day.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get the setup info, and we'll be able to REALLY know what this baby is supposed to sound like. Besides, all those trimmers STILL have me perplexed!
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

pinkjimiphoton

just start with them all at the half way point, and tweak until it sounds good...that's what i did.

when i got it back, almost every single trimpot WAS centered, fwiw!!

can't wait for the new info...yeehaw!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Keppy

Sorry I'm taking so long guys! I finally finished the enclosure, and I'm ready to wire it up, so the clone should be ready to test in a few days. I'll post a video when it's done.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

digi2t

YES YES YES!!!!! You go Kep!!

Hopefully, I won't drop dead of a heart attack or something before then  :icon_mrgreen:

Sidebar; Ordered another wah (straight Crybaby) for the Vocalizer project. Meanwhile, 535Q + Gieger Counter = TOTAL SONIC MAYHEM. Unfreaking real. God, I'm glad I bought that wah.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

pinkjimiphoton

kick ass keppy~

can't wait to hear it!! i wanna build one really bad!! i know i got an original, but it would be nice to not destroy it gigging with it!

sweet!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

analogmike

I didn't read the whole thread, but we have one here. If you'd like us to make a video of what the knobs etc do, let me know.
Give us a script and one of my guys will follow it and I'll post it to Vimeo (youtube sucks)

DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

pinkjimiphoton

hi mike, me and dino both have them as well. if you wanna hop in on the fun, ya may wanna read the thread, you may find either some good info, or places where you can help with the project.

at this point, the first board is pretty much done, and two other originals have been restored...so won't be long before we're making these things, and anyone that wants one won't have to rely on selling their soul to evil bay.

thanks for the offer!!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

digi2t

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Ludwig thread. Thanks a bunch for the offer. pinkjimiphoton and myself have one each as well, and we've been providing the necessary info required for this clone project. We've already pretty well figured out the controls, and configurations. Personally (if you're not too squimish about peeking inside), I would really like to know what resistance readings you get from the trimmers inside your unit, both on the main board, and the 2 on the console board. Voltages from the test points (marked T.P. on the diagram) would be choice as well. There seems to be some discrepancy between jimi and my units, possibly because of people having fiddled with them in the past. That, and the reading of the treadle pot in the toe down, and heel down positions. That way Keppy can maybe average out the three sets of readings and have a good starting point to tune the clone prototype.

I've already posted a video, but if you'd like to post one as well, you're more than welcome. I basically give a run down of the unit controls, but if you would like to run through the three formant filters, with and without fuzz, with and without animation, and fuzz/fuzz voice alone, that would be the cats ass. Maybe sweep the treadle through each formant to give us an idea of the range as well. It would really give us more to compare our units to.

As Jimi mentioned, read through the thread, and another titled "Ludwig Phase II Clone Tech Notes", you'll find a lot of info on these babies. Jimi and I have dissected them well enough to give R.G. and Keppy enough fodder for a clone.

Hey Jimi, I think we're about to start a "Brotherhood of the Ludwig" frat club.

Thanks Mike,
Dino
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

pinkjimiphoton

i have a ludwig demo up, too, mike :

and here's dino's :

yah, the fraternity of drummer created guitar effects...lol

seriously mike, if you don't mind opening yours up too and taking some readings, information is power, and it will help folks in the long run. thanks!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Keppy

Today I spent several hours getting the LEDs hooked up. :icon_eek: Never thought I'd say that!

Next up, the actual audio circuitry. This should actually be easier, given that I have a diagram, rather that a bunch of different bi/tricolor LEDs from different manufacturers with different brightnesses and wiring schemes. Now if only easier meant faster...
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

digi2t

Jimi,

Watched your vid a couple of times, and our treadle pot gear is set different on our units. Mine was like yours, but I jumped the teeth on the pot/rack. Yours seems to be trebly in the middle of the sweep, while I've got mine set to be trebly in the toe down, and sweep down from there. In VOWEL mode, toe down, it's in YOYOYO mode right off the bat, no hunting for it ,fuzz no fuzz. It used to be WOWOWOWOW in Vowel mode toe down, and YOYOYO near the middle, but I readjusted it to YOYOYO. I also have the YOYOYO in the middle of the sweep in COUNTER mode.
It's pretty easy to set the sweep differently on the pot, since you have a few teeth of play either way on the pot. The only drawback is that you have less of the "in and out" feel, of sweeping through the lo/hi/lo range with the treadle. But, I prefer to go directly to certain vowels, and I tend to use the treadle more of a tuner than a wah. Guess we've got a setup note there  :icon_wink:

I also get it I can hear that you also dialed in the frequencies a tad higher on the trimmers, because of the high end "wizzing" that comes through in the sweep, or the modulation. I've got mine dialed in a bit throatier, especially in COUNTER mode. That also accentuates the YOYOYO on mine more. 
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

pinkjimiphoton

yah, i like to sweep it right up to mosquito frequency...lol.

yours and mine are definitely a little different, but there's another beauty of this box...you can tweak it in till it sounds the way the player wants it!

;)

on mine, the last time i tweaked it in since i made the video, i can get a couple different vowels...the yoy, the wow and the wah...so for me, it's a win-win.

should be interesting what happens with keppy's!!

this is such a hip thing, this project!   :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr