someone upped this on "another" forum...worth a look!!!!!

Started by pinkjimiphoton, May 08, 2011, 12:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Bill

In answering you earlier question about, what is it, a Percolating Harmonizer? That would be another person.

digi2t

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pinkjimiphoton

dudes.... wish me luck, another one has popped up, supposedly pristine and 100% complete...just "doesn't work"....the guy wants a FUZZBOX.

i should know saturday!!! if it's complete, i bet it's got some disconnected wires, probably only thing wrong with it...and...worst case, it's parts. best case, it will be something stupid!! ;)

so...a fuzzbox and it's mine...unreal. the guy also has a bunch of old vintage boxes that "don't work" supposedly...gonna go scoff up whatever i can. stay tuned! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Greenmachine

MoltenVoltage

Quote from: digi2t on September 08, 2011, 09:13:57 AM
Oh... another one has popped up...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ludwig-Phase-II-synthesizer-pedal-/200649543911?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2eb7a510e7

Hmmm, 610$ in 3 days. 7 days left. Where she'll stop nobody knows....

On my watch list hehehehe

the guy has sold 1 other thing on ebay...
MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

pinkjimiphoton

seems like the bottom fell out since we cloned these....oooopsies...lol
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

digi2t

Just did a cap job (electros only) on the second unit, the one that wasn't working right. It wasn't a cap problem, although this one sounds better than my other one now. It was one (or both) of the FD100 diodes that was flakey. As a matter of fact, I don't think they were the original diodes. The ones in my #1 unit actually have "100" on them. These looked liked 1N4148's. I was getting almost 27 volts on Q5, instead of the 8 to 9 that I should be getting. I think someone was trying to be creative. I did some cross referencing, and found that 1N914's are pretty close, and I had some on hand, so I popped them in and presto, everything works. Before, it would work for the first 5 or 10 minutes, and I would lose the yoyoy completely. I guess one of the diodes was heating up, and crapping out.

Going to do a cap job on the other one as well. So far, I'm still up in the air about the tropical fish though. I ordered all the caps for both units. I'm debating if I should change them out as well.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

pinkjimiphoton

generally, only electros really go bad...if a cap isn't leaking or drifted too bad, no point really imho
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

UKToecutter

Hi guys.
Just read through this entire thread at a single sitting !!!

This is going onto my "must build" list.

I've been thinking about the power supply requirements and have a question.
Has anybody measured the current draw of the clone?

The reason I ask is that I built a hybrid headphone amplifier a year or so back that's powered using a CISCO power supply.
The supply delivers 48V DC at 0.38A, so just a smidgen over 18W.

Would this do the job?
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

UKToecutter

ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

R.G.

Quote from: UKToecutter on October 08, 2011, 10:50:45 PM
Has anybody measured the current draw of the clone?

The reason I ask is that I built a hybrid headphone amplifier a year or so back that's powered using a CISCO power supply.
The supply delivers 48V DC at 0.38A, so just a smidgen over 18W.
It's fine. I suspect that 100ma would be fine. Unless it's too noisy, you're in.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

UKToecutter

ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

digi2t

OK, I decided to change out the electros on my units. Everything when well. Since I did one at a time, I could A B them, and the new electros do make a difference noise-wise. They're a bit quieter now.

So... I had ordered ALL new caps for both units. I decided to change out all the rest of the caps (tropical fish), and again, A B them to see if there would be any difference. Before I started, I made sure to get both unit as close soundwise as possible, in all modes. I took countless readings, and when I was satisfied that both were pretty damn close, then I went for it.

Well, there is a difference. The unit running all new caps sounds better. By "better" I mean the vowels are more apparent than before. I'm getting better frequency response from the high to low sweep. One thing that I did notice when I was recapping, a couple of the old caps came apart when I removed them from the board. The leg simply detatched itself from one side of the cap. Could it be that these caps have gotten too "dry" with time?

Some of my voltage readings at the test points went off as well with the new caps, so I had to realign everything. It sounds really crisp now, compared to the other unit.

I used 2 polys (chicklets) for the 0.15uF's on the fall board, a silver mica for the 220pF, and 100V metallized film for everything else. Really, great way to put some pop back into these babies.

Another thing, and this also applies to the clones, R32 on the console board should have been a trimmer, or maybe even a control pot. I was studying the fuzz side of the circuit, and this resistor, sitting opposite a diode, caught my fancy. "I wonder what would happen if I play with the resistance value here?", I wondered. So, I wired up a B1M pot, and swapped it into R32's place. It has the effect of determining the choppiness of the signal when the unit is in Fuzz/Percussive mode. With a pot in it's place, it act like the "Smooth" pot on the Tremulus Lune. At the 0 end, you here the percussive ticking, but the signal is not chopped. As you dial up the resistance, the signal gets more and more chopped, like a square wave tremolo. R32 is a 470K resistor, so it's basically a happy medium of both ends. Would have made a nice "Smooth" control on the unit.

Christ... by the time I'm done, I won't want to part with them. Maybe I'll just open a Ludwig Phase II authorized repair shop (cue the crickets chirping  :icon_mrgreen:)
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

pinkjimiphoton

nice! i think i may go for it, as i do have that hum that makes no sense....it's either a diode or a cap generally in my experience.

just gotta wait til the winter's over so i got some disposable cash again..   ::)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Keppy

"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr