I need a A/B box for MIDI Sources

Started by braiden, May 15, 2011, 11:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

braiden

Hey guys,

I have a problem I am struggling to find a way to solve, I was hoping you guys could help me out.

I'm in the process of planning my new pedalboard. I have a Whammy IV which I will be controlling with a Molten Midi 2. The MM2 can be programmed via it's MIDI port.

I plan on having a MIDI In jack mounted on my board near all the 1/4" inputs and outputs for the guitar signal which I will plug my MIDI interface into so I can reprogram the MM2 without taking it off the board or dicking around with it.

What I need to be able to do, is to be able to swap the Whammy out in place of the board MIDI connector. Essentially an AB box.

So it should switch from:

Whammy IV (A) -> MM2
to
Board MIDI Connector (B) -> MM2

Can anyone suggest a solution for this?

potul

Is this meaning the MM2 is using the same MIDI port for MIDI IN and OUT? Interesting......

I think you should be able to use a DPDT switch. MIDI just involve 2 cables...

braiden

Quote from: potul on May 16, 2011, 04:31:39 AM
Is this meaning the MM2 is using the same MIDI port for MIDI IN and OUT? Interesting......

I think you should be able to use a DPDT switch. MIDI just involve 2 cables...

As far as I know, yeah. It uses the same MIDI port for In and Out.

I didn't realize it was as easy as a DPDT switch! That's good to hear.

potul

I have doubts regarding the ground, because I remember something about ground only being attached to one end of a MIDI cable..., but in general, it's only 2 cables you need to switch. (cables 4 and 5 in the DIN connector)

MoltenVoltage

If I understand you correctly, you will just have a MIDI jack on the back of your pedalboard to make it easier to program Molten MIDI 2.

Make a box with 3 MIDI jacks.

The first one has a MIDI cable connected to MM2, the second has a MIDI cable to the Whammy and the third to the jack for programming.

Connect all the center pins together (the common ground).

Use a DPDT switch and connect the center lugs of the switch to pins 4 and 5 of the jack that goes to MM2.

Connect one throw to the Whammy jack and the other to the programming jack, making sure you keep all the pin 4's and pin 5's connected on their same halves of the switch.

I'd recommend a low-profile toggle switch that points toward the active jack so you can tell which way it is switched.

MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

potul

That's exactly what I had in mind...

braiden

Thanks guys, that makes sense. Much appreciated! Cheers!