Author Topic: Second build refuses to work  (Read 4684 times)

Eak

Second build refuses to work
« on: May 31, 2011, 03:53:51 PM »
I built my first boost a few days ago and it works great. when I was building it I decided to make my own layout to see how well I could read a schematic. everything worked great

Built my second one today and it when I switch it on I get a lot of hiss and a very very low signal. The pot does nothing.

The transistor is oriented correctly, everything is grounded, the battery is fresh, I re-traced the circuit and everything is where it should be.

What else could my problem be?

Thanks for any help

Govmnt_Lacky

Re: Second build refuses to work
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:59:46 PM »
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of ‘up to and including my life.’

aron

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »
>I get a lot of hiss and a very very low signal. The pot does nothing.

It you get a lot of hiss - usually that means the circuit is amplifying a lot. If you hear hardly anything, then that indicates some sort of problem with the guitar signal reaching the input of the circuit - at least the transistor. If the pot does nothing, then that usually indicates a short and possibly the reason why the large amount of hiss.

It's probably a short somewhere.

Eak

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 10:29:43 PM »
I guess I misspoke when I said "A lot of hiss" There's some hiss, but no more than normal.

I retraced the circuit and every looks perfect, exactly like my other build too.

aron

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:01:42 PM »
If you have a working build, compare the voltages on the pins of the transistors. There might be a bad solder joint too so use your meter to check if you have good connections between the board.