"Diner table" edging in Europe - any ideas?

Started by markeebee, June 05, 2011, 04:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markeebee

I've been trying to find the aluminium edging strip that you see on diner tables in the States. I'd like to use it on amp and (maybe) stompbox builds.

This is the kind of stuff:

Having real trouble finding a source in UK or Euroland. Google turns up nada.  I've tried furniture manufacturers who make tables using it, but they won't sell me any or tell me where they get it.

Anyone?

Steve Newton

The same kind of thing is often used for the edges of rack casing. Check suppliers for that.

Searching for aluminium extrusion might help too. Who knows what they really call that stuff?

http://www.soundlightuk.com/shop/products/Aluminium-Extrusion-For-10mm-Case-Edging-Supplied-in-2m-Lengths-But-Priced-Per-Metre.-Dimensions-27x-31x-2000mm.html

Steve.
Not my circus, not my monkey.

markeebee

Thanks Steve.  I'd thought about that and had a look at the Adam Hall website, which is usually good for fittings and stuff. I found some similar gubbins, but not close enough. I couldn't see anything that would bend around a radius in the same way as the table edging. I really appreciate your help, though.

I've looked at as many extrusion suppliers as I could locate and, again, similar things but nothing with the same functionality.

arma61

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

markeebee

This build idea has fallen into my head again.....any other ideas for a source, anybody?

Gurner

You could go all "Dale Farm" (UK specific gag) & use this....

...just spray it silver!

http://www.gesolutionsuk.com/edgestrip.html

Ben N

The rubber stuff makes a lot of sense. I have no first-hand knowledge, you understand, but I'd guess that for the aluminum stuff to work around radii (radiuses?) it would have to be made that way--otherwise you'd have all kinds of creasing issues as you tried to make it fit. Corners probably also involve some neat angle cuts.

Edit: A friend of mine was building his house recently, including a very pretty staircase on which the bottom stair flairs out and is round at the end. He had wooden floor molding all around the room, but couldn't get anything that fit for that round profile. His contractor came up with a rubber product that matched--not exactly, but close enough that you wouldn't notice the difference. With a little paint, they were good to go.
  • SUPPORTER

jasperoosthoek

I think you might be able to find that at home improvement stores where they also have L and U shape extruded aluminum profiles,
[DIYStompbox user name]@hotmail.com

GGBB

Quote from: Gurner on November 17, 2011, 07:22:47 AM
...just spray it silver!

That might work, but I'd be a little worried that the paint would chip off easily to to the brittleness of the paint and the flexibility of the rubber.  One bump and there goes a big chip or at least a whole lot of crackling in the finish.  I know for plastic car bumpers they have to use a special flexible paint (or a flex additive).
  • SUPPORTER

acromarty

Have you tried any DIY kitchen suppliers?
There may be some worktop edging strip that would do what you want.
The kind of thing used to finish the cut edge of the chipboard.
Andy

DDD

HAFELE is one of the best European suppliers of such a stuff.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

markeebee

Aw, thanks for your suggestions everybody.

That plastic strip is soooo close to what I'm after, but really I need something with a slight overhang or lip at each edge - more like a very shallow channel than a flat strip.

I checked hardware stores and kitchen suppliers, they all had flat edging but not lipped. Close again.

Dimitry - yes, Hafele are great, we use a lot of their components where I work. In a weird geeky way, I enjoy looking through their catalogue, they have lots of clever stuff. But they don't have this  :icon_cry:  Good shot, though. Thanks.

I'm sure I've seen this edging used in camper vans and boats, so my final try will be companies that fit them out. After that, bollocks to it. Cheers!

DavenPaget

Quote from: markeebee on November 19, 2011, 03:18:48 AM
Aw, thanks for your suggestions everybody.

That plastic strip is soooo close to what I'm after, but really I need something with a slight overhang or lip at each edge - more like a very shallow channel than a flat strip.

I checked hardware stores and kitchen suppliers, they all had flat edging but not lipped. Close again.

Dimitry - yes, Hafele are great, we use a lot of their components where I work. In a weird geeky way, I enjoy looking through their catalogue, they have lots of clever stuff. But they don't have this  :icon_cry:  Good shot, though. Thanks.

I'm sure I've seen this edging used in camper vans and boats, so my final try will be companies that fit them out. After that, bollocks to it. Cheers!
Maybe a spray and a 5 layers of clear coat might do it !  :icon_mrgreen:
Hiatus

StephenGiles

Can anyone tell me how to get the centre brake light working on my 98 Honda Civic - the casing is held on with Gaffa Tape!!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

PRR

> get the centre brake light working on my 98 Honda Civic

Cheap new cars.

My brother's 1941 Plymouth's center brake light works just fine, no tape.

Problem is, that was the ONLY brake light on the car. Which was good-enough for 1941, but tail-gaters today expect to see three red lights before they will believe you are braking.
  • SUPPORTER

jasperoosthoek

[DIYStompbox user name]@hotmail.com