phasing, notches, dry, n'stuff

Started by Danich_ivanov, October 24, 2018, 04:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danich_ivanov

I've seen electrosmash analysis of the phase 90 with dry signal hooked up (as it is basically), but i'm curious as to what it would look like without dry signal, how does it differ in terms of notches and phase shifting? And i'm not talking about phase 90 in particular, but anything similar where you can see the difference. If you have knowledge or graphs, that's what i'm looking for.

Thanks.

DrAlx

If there's no feedback of any sort in the phase-shifted path, then then you need dry signal to give you notches.

Graphs: See http://1drv.ms/1flKf0d.

e.g. for a 6 stage phaser with identical all-pass stages with no feedback.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+abs(1%2BP)+where+P%3D((pi*ix-6)%2F(+pi*ix%2B6))%5E6+from+x%3D0+to+10

For 4 stage phase, replace all the 6's in the formula box by 4.  etc, etc

Danich_ivanov

Quote from: DrAlx on October 24, 2018, 05:24:29 AM
If there's no feedback of any sort in the phase-shifted path, then then you need dry signal to give you notches.

Graphs: See http://1drv.ms/1flKf0d.

e.g. for a 6 stage phaser with identical all-pass stages with no feedback.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+abs(1%2BP)+where+P%3D((pi*ix-6)%2F(+pi*ix%2B6))%5E6+from+x%3D0+to+10

For 4 stage phase, replace all the 6's in the formula box by 4.  etc, etc

Unfortunately none of these load on my phone. So what you're saying is that dry signal is required to create notches, otherwise there will only be 720° degrees shifting (considering 4 stages), with minor frequency changes (as there is still some filtering happening)?

antonis

What Alex said..

Without dry signal, all you have is a "clean" all-pass filter..
There isn't anything to be summed on out of phase (delayed) wet signal, hence no cancellation may occur..

P.S.
An intertersting reference:
Bartlett, B., "A Scientific Explanation of Phasing
(Flanging)," Jour. Aud. Eng. Soc., vol. 18, no. 6,
December 1970, pp. 674-675.
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Danich_ivanov

Quote from: antonis on October 24, 2018, 05:53:48 AM
What Alex said..

Without dry signal, all you have is a "clean" all-pass filter..
There isn't anything to be summed on out of phase (delayed) wet signal, hence no cancellation may occur..

P.S.
An intertersting reference:
Bartlett, B., "A Scientific Explanation of Phasing
(Flanging)," Jour. Aud. Eng. Soc., vol. 18, no. 6,
December 1970, pp. 674-675.

I see. And that's pretty much what i expected, just thought there is something else going on. I'll check the read, thanks.

antonis

Just to make it more clear..

Without dry signal, up right summer is effectively turned into output inverting buffer (with gain, in current configuration)..
(there isn't anything to be added on phase shifted signal so OUT is an inverting replica of whatever comes from DEPTH pot's wiper..)

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Mark Hammer

With no dry signal combined and NO feedback within the phase-shift section of the circuit, the allpass stages create modest pitch shift.  However, when feedback is introduced, one does hear enhanced peaks as the LFO sweeps.  So I'm assuming that any audible resonant peaks implies some dips between them.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 24, 2018, 08:46:51 AM
With no dry signal combined and NO feedback within the phase-shift section of the circuit, the allpass stages create modest pitch shift.

Isn't that only true when the all pass stages are modulated? A *changing* phase shift is a frequency, but a fixed phase shift is just that - fixed. If you took the dry path out and had good quality static all pass stages, you shouldn't really hear them. After all, clue's in the the name: "all pass" - they pass everything, no frequency effects at all, only phase effects.

Mark Hammer

Yes.  Completely correct, and I should have not assumed that little detail would be assumed.

Danich_ivanov

Quote from: ElectricDruid on October 24, 2018, 06:51:57 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 24, 2018, 08:46:51 AM
With no dry signal combined and NO feedback within the phase-shift section of the circuit, the allpass stages create modest pitch shift.

Isn't that only true when the all pass stages are modulated? A *changing* phase shift is a frequency, but a fixed phase shift is just that - fixed. If you took the dry path out and had good quality static all pass stages, you shouldn't really hear them. After all, clue's in the the name: "all pass" - they pass everything, no frequency effects at all, only phase effects.

But isn't it where the genious of a phaser effect comes in with a smaller caps (or shall i say a carefully choosen ones) that allows for a slight frequency shifts, besides purely changing the phase?