Help, add treble switch to BBE Orange Comp???

Started by zoki, June 12, 2011, 12:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoki

Hey ya'll,

Haven't posted here before but have recently gotten into getting inside my pedals and tweaking : ) 

I've got this BBE Orange Comp that sounds stellar for bass but on guitar I find I'm wishing I had a little treble cap on a switch to give it some extra jangle when I'm pushing into it a bit harder. 
I figure this is probably a pretty straight forward mod but don't know where the thing would go so that it switches on with the comp when it's on....

Thanks in advance for any input!

zoki

Alrighty, went ahead and got up in there while waiting for input here....

Thought a cap across the volume would add some sparkle but got nothing there...

Ended up with a 10k resistor across R6 (circuit seems to be fairly similar to this - http://doctortweek.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/orange-squeezer-by-doctor-tweek.jpg) not sure if it's exactly adding treble but there's more clarity and the character of the compression seems more natural so I'm leaving that...

Still hoping to find the magic spot for the sparkle/bright switch though if anyone has any insights on the matter  ;D

ayayay!

The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

zoki

Hey Thanks Ay,

Gave that a shot but it ended up cutting the high end rather than boost it.... would maybe a different resistor value help there?

Since I was in there I had germanium diode around I forgot about and popped that in and really like it....
Seems like it may have cut the level a bit and I need to figure out a way to make that up?

I actually hadn't realized how far the Main Squeeze is from the Orange Squeeze till I got inside it with a magnifying glass: (

Has me thinking I'm going to go ahead and order a proper 4558 and 2n5457's to get it closer to the OS specs there and see where I'm at then...

Anyone know if that extra 4148 diode in there would benefit from or even can be switched out with another germanium?