RM Octavia clone/ have one/built one??

Started by Mike Nichting, October 03, 2003, 01:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Nichting

Does anyone have a Roger Mayer Octavia clone or Octavia??

I get extreme buzzing when I turn the drive and volume pot up. I disconnected the LED and now I get a crazy radio station through my amp that I didn't get when I had the LED connected but either way I get signal bypassed or not.
I got this circuit from Bill Bergman and it worked when I got it. Then a couple of wires came loose due to not being in a case and since then it hasn't worked. I reconnected the wires where they went and added a 3PDT switch and LED.
The LED goes on and off with the switch and when the LED is connected I get bypassed signal that is clean(no radio) and when I engage the circuit it doesn't get much effect and when I trun the pots up it buzzes like crazy.
Any Ideas??

Thanks all,
Mike
I forgot to add, I don't know where the lug1 of the drive pot should go. It shows that It gets grounded in the schematic but when I do that I get radio stations as well. I have lug3 of volume connected to lug1 of drive and they are grounded together.
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Mike Nichting

I had the switch wired wrong~!!   :oops:
I just don't have a grip on these 3PDT switches. I had it wired like a normal true bypass with the top 2 lugs on the left side wired together.
I had to wire it and ground the input jack tip by running a wire from the middle bottom lug to the top left lug for ground.
Now it works perfectly. Anyone care to explain why??

Thanks
Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".

Craig V

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but how does it sound?

I built a Tyco model, and am not too thrilled with it.  Where did you get your schematic/pcb from?

Thanks.

Mike Nichting

The schematic I used to find out where everything went is at fuzz central.
It doesn't give me quite the octave that I was hoping for. From the times i've heard it on songs etc. it sounded a lot better.
I will have to figure oiut how to get it to sound better.

Mike

Andy

Mike, are you using perfboard to build your effects?  How do you do yours?
Andy

Mike Nichting

This circuit was built by Bill Bergman. I had to connect the switch and led and rewire the jacks and box it up.
I have JD Sleep make boards for me or I etch my own when I can afford to do either. JD has been great to me, thanks JD~!!

I got the lady at Office Depot to put 5 layouts on my Press and Peel blue for $.07 the other day~!!  I have to transfer them to my copper FR4 epoxy board that I bought from Small Bear.

I need to come up with a good way to drill the holes in my boards though. I have a dremel but I could use a drill press for the dremel. Anyone know where to get one or have one to trade or sell cheap??

Mike

bwanasonic

Quote from: Mike NichtingThe schematic I used to find out where everything went is at fuzz central.
It doesn't give me quite the octave that I was hoping for. From the times i've heard it on songs etc. it sounded a lot better.
I will have to figure oiut how to get it to sound better.

Mike

I would like to see a *technology of* article at GeoFx covering the Octavia/Green Ringer/ Foxx TM, etc. to aid in tuning the response of these effects ( I should look closer, maybe it's already there). With Octavia type effects, it seems you really have to *play the effect* and find the range where they really respond/resonate. Using the neck pickup and rolling off the tone control can help in some cases. Then just find the notes that really *scream* and beat the snot out of them!

Kerry M

Mike Nichting

yeah, it sure would be nice to be able to make them *ring* anytime anywhere without being to over-the-top.
I put the Bronto boost infront oif it and used the boost section to drive the octavia and had better results.

It has  a little too much high end in it for my taste. any ideas on how to roll off the high end??

Mike