Frequency-Dependant Low Pass Filter

Started by liquids, June 22, 2011, 11:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

The EH Guitar Synth will provide you with that dream if you can think beyond a 1590 sized box.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

liquids

Quote from: StephenGiles on June 24, 2011, 02:31:51 AM
The EH Guitar Synth will provide you with that dream if you can think beyond a 1590 sized box.

1-chip circuits and small enclosure sizes are not limitations for me at all.   :)   However the EH guitar synth design is not exactly providing me with that dream..

At the same time, the fundamental 'extractor' is the focus point for me, once you have the a frequency wave cleanly and consistently, the sky is the limit.

And in the EH Guitar Synth, the tracking circuit turns out to be a compressor + self-tuning filter....

I tinkered with a self-tuning filter last evening, and by itself, it didn't improve my tracking all that significantly compared to a cliche and well tuned (and endless spice simulations!) static 3-pole low pass filter found in many devices, unfortunately.  The static filter already works quite well, for me, so it's not that it isn't great, it just isn't the magic ticket, surprisingly, in and of itself.

It's just those blasted wound strings on the first frets, they always seem to 'jump',  eventually, for which reason I completely understand, but am still annoyed by.  Though I suspect that for those with poor playing technique, the self-tuning filter may be a significant improvement over the static filters (not to toot my own horn).

But I didn't put a compressor before it...so Ill try that too.

OR I should simple accept the blasted octave skipping on a few select fretboard locations, ignore them and play on....but the perfectionist part of me won't give up!   :(
Breadboard it!

StephenGiles

Quote from: liquids on June 24, 2011, 06:28:46 AM
Quote from: StephenGiles on June 24, 2011, 02:31:51 AM

And in the EH Guitar Synth, the tracking circuit turns out to be a compressor + self-tuning filter....

No it is not, that is simply signal conditioning prior to the tracking tricks which are performed by the loop consisting of the 2 x 4047, a VCO running at twice the input frequency of the input, and a few opamps.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

liquids

Quote from: StephenGiles on June 24, 2011, 06:38:57 AM
No it is not, that is simply signal conditioning prior to the tracking tricks which are performed by the loop consisting of the 2 x 4047, a VCO running at twice the input frequency of the input, and a few opamps.

Using logic and CMOS chips and then waveshaping is really the easy part...and how one does it is as wide as the DIY synth world is.  Turning guitar notes into simple and consistent waveform to interface with said chips seems much harder....from the 'sine wave' of the circuit, squaring it with a comparator circuit and logic gates etc...got that part, I think.

Moog freqbox and Loss1234's mini-ark is more my speed as I can actually hear what it sounds like (!), and it has set the standard for what I'm after...he's a really nice guy and has answered lots of question, however, understandable he is not giving away the details of his current tracking circuit after months of banging his head against the wall...and while having one would be fun, I'd rather use the basic tracking for my own circuit purposes and interest, and remain $449 the richer.   ;D

Of course the pigtronix mothership is impressive ($$$) too...
Breadboard it!

defaced

QuoteTurning guitar notes into simple and consistent waveform to interface with said chips seems much harder....from the 'sine wave' of the circuit, squaring it with a comparator circuit and logic gates etc...got that part, I think.
Dumb question.  Would amplifying the living s__t out of the input until it clips get you a nice square way of just the fundamental?  This you could then use for whatever your heart desires. 
-Mike

liquids

Quote from: defaced on June 24, 2011, 08:20:01 AM
Dumb question.  Would amplifying the living s__t out of the input until it clips get you a nice square way of just the fundamental?  This you could then use for whatever your heart desires.  

That's what it all turns into and what you want feeding CMOS chips for sync and VCO control etc. That's the plan.

A true comparator and/or inverter does so nicely...which the EH guitar synth shows...check out MarkusW's work.....

But unfortunately, if the fundamental frequency 'warbles' - that is, because the dynamics of a guitars harmonics change over time - so does the square wave frequency.  Again, easy if you are using synthesis and oscillators to create 'pure waveforms.'   Much harder to strip down all guitar notes into a pure (even semi-pure) waveforms, which only gets slightly easier if you use separate pickups/filtering/triggers for each string!
Breadboard it!

StephenGiles

I don't think that the Pig Mothership comes anywhere near the EH Guitar Synth.

R.G.

Quote from: defaced on June 24, 2011, 08:20:01 AM
Would amplifying the living s__t out of the input until it clips get you a nice square way of just the fundamental?  

- noise -
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

StephenGiles

No octave skipping with the EH GSynth.

earthtonesaudio

It'd be cool to make something like an anti-sustainer that electromagnetically damps the harmonics so you can play pure sines.

liquids

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on June 24, 2011, 12:56:01 PM
It'd be cool to make something like an anti-sustainer that electromagnetically damps the harmonics so you can play pure sines.

I always enjoy your ideas!
Breadboard it!

liquids

Quote from: StephenGiles on June 24, 2011, 09:16:39 AM

Do you know that Howard Davis designed the deluxe octave multiplexer, and the mothership?
Breadboard it!

StephenGiles

Quote from: liquids on June 24, 2011, 02:20:35 PM
Quote from: StephenGiles on June 24, 2011, 09:16:39 AM

Do you know that Howard Davis designed the deluxe octave multiplexer, and the mothership?

Yes I do.

merlinb

Quote from: liquids on June 24, 2011, 07:04:47 AM
Moog freqbox and Loss1234's mini-ark is more my speed as I can actually hear what it sounds like (!), and it has set the standard for what I'm after...he's a really nice guy and has answered lots of question, however, understandable he is not giving away the details of his current tracking circuit after months of banging his head against the wall...and while having one would be fun, I'd rather use the basic tracking for my own circuit purposes and interest, and remain $449 the richer.   ;D
That mini-ark sounds like it has a noise gate. The tracker from a Boss OC-2 works very well as long as you don't let the notes decay, and you play carefully. I suspect he is using something like that (maybe with a tracking filter as well), plus the noise gate to kill the sputtering as the note decays. I could be way off, of course!

StephenGiles

Quote from: merlinb on June 24, 2011, 06:02:50 PM
Quote from: liquids on June 24, 2011, 07:04:47 AM
Moog freqbox and Loss1234's mini-ark is more my speed as I can actually hear what it sounds like (!), and it has set the standard for what I'm after...he's a really nice guy and has answered lots of question, however, understandable he is not giving away the details of his current tracking circuit after months of banging his head against the wall...and while having one would be fun, I'd rather use the basic tracking for my own circuit purposes and interest, and remain $449 the richer.   ;D
That mini-ark sounds like it has a noise gate. The tracker from a Boss OC-2 works very well as long as you don't let the notes decay, and you play carefully. I suspect he is using something like that (maybe with a tracking filter as well), plus the noise gate to kill the sputtering as the note decays. I could be way off, of course!

EH GSynth does not have that problem - but I know I'm wasting my breath ::) ::) ::)

merlinb

Quote from: StephenGiles on June 25, 2011, 04:04:23 AM
EH GSynth does not have that problem - but I know I'm wasting my breath ::) ::) ::)
Haven't we covered the EH guitar synth already on page 1?...

StephenGiles

Quote from: merlinb on June 25, 2011, 04:35:48 AM
Quote from: StephenGiles on June 25, 2011, 04:04:23 AM
Haven't we covered the EH guitar synth already on page 1?...

I just can't see the point in reinventing the wheel, when it has been perfected over 30 years ago!!

merlinb

Quote from: StephenGiles on June 25, 2011, 11:38:25 AM
I just can't see the point in reinventing the wheel, when it has been perfected over 30 years ago!!
a: It wasn't perfected. It's functional, but rather inelegant.
b: What if you could do the same thing with fewer parts...

StephenGiles

Quote from: merlinb on June 25, 2011, 01:00:33 PM

It's never been bettered in a fully analogue way.

StephenGiles

Quote from: merlinb on June 25, 2011, 01:00:33 PM

What do you mean by inelegant exactly? Surely you realise that if EH could have cut the component count they would. Think rack not 1590 box.