signal splitter and mixer stompbox

Started by Jule553648, June 30, 2011, 06:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jule553648

I have one crazy idea on having some kind opamp splitter which would split my guitar signal on 2 (or more) individual lines. Then I would put let say distortion pedal on one signal and reverb pedal on the other one.

Then I would use mixer opamp pedal, to mix these 2 signals back into one. And I would have  distorted sound with clean reverb.

Are here some schematics for those mixers?

I would also like to use mixer to put 2 guitars into one clean amp.

thanks for the answers

Gurner

Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but this could be done in about 5 minutes with any modern PC....feed your soundcard a clean guitar signal (assuming you have a circuit/pedal that will convert High to Lo Z) , route ithe guitar signal to two channels in some digital audio app (cubase, sonar etc), apply distortion to one channel, reverb to the other...mix the outputs of the two channels togather ....voila.

I'm not saying it's not gonna be good, but it'll be quite a time sump pulling together all the info, parts, construction, debugging etc.... in the light it could be trialled very quickly on PC, that's the way I'd go first to make sure I was happy with the outcome before jumping in to a hardware version.

digi2t

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

R.G.

Read geofex.com

The term "splitter" is often a misnomer. Driving multiple pedal/signal paths doesn't need some special isolator, just a buffer to drive the signal well. Driving multiple amplifiers introduces hum issues where a real splitter is needed.

You can find both a buffered variable driver for multiple effects and a mixer for the returning signals here:

http://geofex.com/circuits/Adjusticator.gif

If you're into this stuff, I recommend reading all of geofex. There are answers to things you haven't (yet) thought of there.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Morocotopo

Also, there´s the Runoffgroove Splitter-blend. Search runoffgroove.
Morocotopo

Jule553648

Ok, then splitter is not what I need.

But a blender to blend 2 efects or 2 guitars into one

R.G.

Quote from: Jule553648 on June 30, 2011, 12:09:34 PM
Ok, then splitter is not what I need.

But a blender to blend 2 efects or 2 guitars into one

In common parlance, a "blender" is a version of a mixer where one input increases in volume while the other goes down. In my mind, "blender" implies any possible blend, but that's not what most people see. A mixing panner is what most people mean.

The mixer in the lower right hand of the Adjusticator does that. There is a two-input panner circuit in the article at Geofex "Panning for Fun" that does exactly the raise-on/Lower-other.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Ben N

Splitter-blend is pretty much exactly what you're after. There's also a Keeley schematic floating around that does the same thing.
  • SUPPORTER

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Morocotopo on June 30, 2011, 11:17:55 AM
Also, there´s the Runoffgroove Splitter-blend. Search runoffgroove.

That would also be my suggestion

Gus

Something else to think about.  You can buy a small mixer and build a phantom power DI as an interface to the guitar.

Jule553648

I am trying to stay on cheap.

As far as I understand the splitter-blend:

- you put guitar signal into IN
- on two blend lugs there goes the potentiometer
- green and red SEND split the signal
- two returns again mix the both signals
that switch is for phase invertion?

what does that Q1 do?

Can someone explain?

B Tremblay

Q1 maintains a high input impedance regardless of the phase reversal switch position.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com