Anyone tried this new EH Blackfinger comp with two tubes?

Started by Bluesgeetar, October 03, 2003, 02:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluesgeetar

I wonder just how much mojo some of you pedal wizards could squeeze out of one of these puppies with some cool mods.

Still on my quest to get that RCA BA-6A limiting Amp sound.  Can't find a decent schematic anywhere to build one.  :(   Or to get someone to built it if I supplied the parts.

Do you guys think with a little tinkering and applying some of your magic we could get great vintage comp/limiter sounds out of the New Tube Blackfinger?

Jason M.

Have you tried the new BlackFinger?

I think it sounds great WITHOUT any mods, although I've never had a chance to play with any vintage units.

Ben N

Just FYI, the old (or, as people now like to say, "vintage") BF was  different animal, a completely solid state compressor.  Everything I have heard about the new ones is that they are very impressive.
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

gtrmac

Wow!, that RCA Limiter is one of the wackiest contraptions I've ever seen!

I can understand why no one wants to build one. For starters where would you get all those trannies?

Give it up dude and buy yerself an 1176 or something.

BF compressor looks interesting.

Bluesgeetar

Oh no my brother!  I have a place where I could get enough parts to build hundreds of those old vintage units!  The sheetmetal and housing might be different though.  Never under estimate what great vintage/antique old electronic supply places lurk out there!  All I need is a schem I can work off of.

darren

my keyboard rig has a few things in it i shouldn't be able to afford thanks to these sites:

http://www.gyraf.dk/  -- SSL mixbus compressor, 1176 projects

http://recording.org/users/kev/  --  bunch of people who build what you're looking for

http://1176neve.tripod.com/1176/index.html  --  some original designs, best of old & new

http://www.recording.org/cgi-local/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=6  -- excellent forum for building compressors etc

my favourite is actually the LA4 clone from Kev's site.  HTH   :P
--
darren
=^..^=

donald stringer

Blues geetar ,are you speaking of that type of tone sim. to  HEART /  magic man intro. now I think that  is a classic tube comp.. I couldnt really tell you if they used tube amps but I am almost sure they did.
troublerat

moosapotamus

Quote from: darrenmy keyboard rig has a few things in it i shouldn't be able to afford thanks to these sites:

my favourite is actually the LA4 clone from Kev's site.  HTH   :P
Hey darren - So, you have built that LA4 clone? If so, what other comps have you used that you can compare it to? Use it on anything besides keyboards (vocals, guitars, bass, etc.)?

Thanks
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

runmikeyrun

I got a musician's friend and sam ash credit card, with limits of 500 bucks each.  They have 30 day no questions asked return policies.  When i see something that looks cool i just order it and then return it in a couple of weeks.  Lets me try all kinds of stuff and as long as i don't damage it i can return it.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

darren

hey charlie.  i took the LA4 to a friend's project studio after i built it and he thought it was broken - his complaint was along the lines of 'well it makes everything the same volume but i can't hear it doing anything!'  *grin*

which is basically why i like it.  it has no attack or decay knobs - it just goes, and it compresses, and by golly the only reason you'd know it was there at all is cos the levels don't get louder than they should.

two other compressors it reminds me of are the HHB fatman, but that one did warm the sound up a bit (if you're doing 80s new romantic stuff like me you don't want that) and also a 2U joemeek thing i borrowed once, i forget the model.  it definately sounds nothing like an alesis 3360 (sic) or any behringer stuff i've used.  so for the NZ$500 it cost me, i have a 4U compressor with VU meters and a blue LED.

to be entirely honest, i like it cos it doesn't have many knobs and it sounds good no matter what you do with the ones it has.  my amp is a matchless spitfire clone with no tone or master volume, just a gain, and my most loved pedal is a one-knob rangemaster...  get the picture  :P

i wish my digital camera was going, i'd take some photos of all this stuff.  hrm, i seem to have a soldering iron and some screwdrivers.. bbl  ;)
--
darren
=^..^=

moosapotamus

Cool darren. Congrats! If I ever stop thinking of ways to tinker with effects circuits (and find some free time), building a nice studio compressor would be at the top of my list. And, the LA4 actually looks pretty manageable compared to others like the 'What' compressor, or the LA2A. Glad to hear yours turned out so nice.

Thanks
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."