ISP Decimator. DC power burn out. need help!!!!

Started by ChickenHawk, July 07, 2011, 12:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChickenHawk

Hey whats up I have a ISP decimator, things awesome. I had a battery in it and it was working fine, it started to die to i borrowed my other guitarists power supply and it wouldnt work at all. I took it home and played with the guts and when i plug in the adapter into the 9v input the board started smoking. i tried resoldering some of the points and playing around with it but im not sure exactly what it is. if anyones every incountered this problem or has any advice to try and fix it let me know. id rather get my hands into it before i just ship it off or get a new one.

Govmnt_Lacky

More than likely you plugged in a power supply that was REVERSE of what you needed. I am guessing but I would bet your ISP needs a center NEGATIVE supply and you plugged in a center POSITIVE supply. Check that.

If not, then you may have used the wrong rated supply (either 9VAC or a higher DC voltage than the box could handle. Check that.

In either case, look over ALL of your electrolytic caps and the voltage protection diode (if there is one).

Here is another thread that will help with part ID:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=88902.0

Good Luck  ;D

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

ChickenHawk

thanks for all the info!! kinda ran into another problem though after putting it back together it wont power up under any power supply, you think i totally fried it?

Govmnt_Lacky

From what I gather, that pedal is pretty spendy.  :o

If I were you... I would take my time and troubleshoot it. Just follow the power path.

Most likely, whatever caused the "magic smoke" to escape like you described earlier is what is causing it to not power up now.

Posting pictures of the unit will help. Along with following this thread:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

Good Luck  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'