1590B Proco Rat PCB W/ Onboard Pots, Switch & LED

Started by Scruffie, July 18, 2011, 01:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

Another onboard pot PCB layout, this time for the Proco Rat with a board mounted switch to select between Diode & LED clipping and because I had a big chunk of PCB space left, an onboard LED & Resistor option too.

Enjoy!

Oh and Unverified and 54.61 x 53.34mm
(Just noticed R4 on the silkscreen isn't listed, it should be 47R)

Mark Hammer

I am always appreciative of the layouts that people provide here and other forums.  RG has prodded me by sending me a copy of the layout book some years back, but I just haven't worked up enough motivation, I'm afraid, to do any.

Sometimes, I get the impression that the folks who DO sit and work on layouts approach them like sudokus or crossword puzzles.  They're propelled by the fascination of having everything connect in an orderly way.  It's a puzzle and a challenge for them, so they do them for fun.  I know back when RG worked for Big Blue, he would often post layouts for something he claimed to have drawn during boring meetings.  I suppose for those of us who wish to pass the time, and feel like we're doing something useful, drawing layouts only requires paper and pen/pencil.  Would that I could sit here at work waiting for a phone call or meeting and stuff/wire boards, but it isn't likely to happen.  I guess layout drafting is as close to being useful as one can get.

Whatever the motivation, thanks again.

Scruffie

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 18, 2011, 01:29:02 PM
I am always appreciative of the layouts that people provide here and other forums.  RG has prodded me by sending me a copy of the layout book some years back, but I just haven't worked up enough motivation, I'm afraid, to do any.

Sometimes, I get the impression that the folks who DO sit and work on layouts approach them like sudokus or crossword puzzles.  They're propelled by the fascination of having everything connect in an orderly way.  It's a puzzle and a challenge for them, so they do them for fun.  I know back when RG worked for Big Blue, he would often post layouts for something he claimed to have drawn during boring meetings.  I suppose for those of us who wish to pass the time, and feel like we're doing something useful, drawing layouts only requires paper and pen/pencil.  Would that I could sit here at work waiting for a phone call or meeting and stuff/wire boards, but it isn't likely to happen.  I guess layout drafting is as close to being useful as one can get.

Pretty much boredom, I had a slight hangover, it's pissing it down and pitch black with cloud out and I had nothing to do all day but sit, smoke and watch TV... really I probably should have read a book or something more productive but this seemed easier at the time and used up over 2 hours... productive in the sense that i'd like to build it, but perhaps destracting me from playing my actual guitar... it has it's positives and negatives... it is atleast involving so that i'll usually finish a layout in one sitting where as I might tire of another activity if it doesn't grab me... perhaps due to the lack of reward that comes from completeing something.

I suppose if I did sudokus, this is how i'd do them, I get a pattern forming then try and stick with it, either in parts layout or track layout to try and keep things neat and laid out in a way i'd like to build the effect... and the way I like them is as little off board wiring as possible, easy to populate and not a stand up component in sight.

Anyway, cheers for the appreciation  :)

Pigyboy

And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG

Scruffie

Quote from: Pigyboy on July 18, 2011, 02:20:38 PM
I will try to do some boards this week...
Let me know if you verify it!

And my arm should be healed enough by Friday I think at the rate it's going to solder so hopefully by Sunday we can find out if that Bax Boogey's verified.

Quote from: Scruffie on July 18, 2011, 01:39:00 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 18, 2011, 01:29:02 PM
I am always appreciative of the layouts that people provide here and other forums.  RG has prodded me by sending me a copy of the layout book some years back, but I just haven't worked up enough motivation, I'm afraid, to do any.

Sometimes, I get the impression that the folks who DO sit and work on layouts approach them like sudokus or crossword puzzles.  They're propelled by the fascination of having everything connect in an orderly way.  It's a puzzle and a challenge for them, so they do them for fun.  I know back when RG worked for Big Blue, he would often post layouts for something he claimed to have drawn during boring meetings.  I suppose for those of us who wish to pass the time, and feel like we're doing something useful, drawing layouts only requires paper and pen/pencil.  Would that I could sit here at work waiting for a phone call or meeting and stuff/wire boards, but it isn't likely to happen.  I guess layout drafting is as close to being useful as one can get.

Pretty much boredom, I had a slight hangover, it's pissing it down and pitch black with cloud out and I had nothing to do all day but sit, smoke and watch TV... really I probably should have read a book or something more productive but this seemed easier at the time and used up over 2 hours... productive in the sense that i'd like to build it, but perhaps destracting me from playing my actual guitar... it has it's positives and negatives... it is atleast involving so that i'll usually finish a layout in one sitting where as I might tire of another activity if it doesn't grab me... perhaps due to the lack of reward that comes from completeing something.

I suppose if I did sudokus, this is how i'd do them, I get a pattern forming then try and stick with it, either in parts layout or track layout to try and keep things neat and laid out in a way i'd like to build the effect... and the way I like them is as little off board wiring as possible, easy to populate and not a stand up component in sight.

Anyway, cheers for the appreciation  :)
I managed to finish my book after this anyway so I did get something done today... although I wish I hadn't... :-\

Scruffie

Just noticed one veryyy tiny mistake on the above layout, the track from Pin 2 just touches Pin 1 on the OpAmp so i've updated the layout and also made the pads for the LEDs a bit bigger.

If anyone would like a PDF copy of the PCB, PM me.

Pigyboy

Hi Scuffie,
I'll get these in the post today for sure!
C
                                                            - FANG

askwho69

"To live is to die"

Scruffie

Quote from: Pigyboy on July 26, 2011, 02:59:14 AM
Hi Scuffie,
C

Cheers C, you're a good man  :) i'll let you know when I get them and get this one verified.

Quote from: askwho69 on July 26, 2011, 05:09:20 AM
Nice mate another good opps EXCELLENT layout :D
:D I try

Glad you're enjoying them  ;)

You can put that one working LM308 you have left to good use  :icon_mrgreen:

askwho69

Quote from: Scruffie on July 26, 2011, 09:16:03 AM
Quote from: Pigyboy on July 26, 2011, 02:59:14 AM
Hi Scuffie,
C

Cheers C, you're a good man  :) i'll let you know when I get them and get this one verified.

Quote from: askwho69 on July 26, 2011, 05:09:20 AM
Nice mate another good opps EXCELLENT layout :D
:D I try

Glad you're enjoying them  ;)

You can put that one working LM308 you have left to good use  :icon_mrgreen:

Hahaha it was really a coincident that you made a very nice layout and accidentally a 308! i will make some pcb next time :D your layout is very very very mmmhhh Cool!
hahaha
"To live is to die"

Scruffie

Wow those PCBs got here fast this time... Cheers Chris!

Right... haven't populated it yet (only just pulled it out the packet) but my suspicions have been confirmed, I misjudged the DPDT hole spacing, not badly, infact with a tiny amount of pin bending that's almost unnoticeable it sits just above the board (which is good cause if it were flush... I wouldn't be able to reach the pins underneath).

However I would like to adapt the layout so that it fits in without bending so does anyone have an ExpressPCB component file for a DPDT Board Mount? Don't wanna get it wrong again.

Stay tuned for verification.

Pigyboy

- FANG

Scruffie

Scruffie

Doing a layout today with a millenium bypass on board, it struck me that I had all that room on the RAT PCB that i'd filled with just an LED where as I could add one to the very circuit that inspired the millenium bypass!

So here's a new version with it included, I also respaced the DPDT pads (I think they should be better now) and added some extra pads so if you want, you can just stick wires through the holes on the board for the DPDT and mount it normally rather than soldering it on the underside of the board.

Board size is still 54.61 x 53.34

The main circuit is still verified and unchanged but the millenium has not been.