Sliding Potentiometer Wisdom? Cutting straight enclosure lines & using screws

Started by kimelopidaer, April 14, 2013, 05:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimelopidaer

Hello DIY,

I recently picked up a few sliding pots. I assume that I don't see them in use very often because of the difficulty in mounting them.
How shall I approach cutting the straight lines in the enclosure (for slider travel)? I have used a dremel cutting disc to trim perfboard to size, I wonder if the dremel is suitable
for cutting into the die cast aluminum...

As well, I see how the faders can be mounted to a board that is attached to the enclosure using standoffs,
but what about those small screw holes on either side of the sliding potentiometer? Can anyone suggest a place to purchase those little screws?

I'd appreciate anyone chiming in with their ideas.

Thankyou,
K

XXISouthpaw

Obviously laser cutting it would probably be the most clean cut way of doing it, but I'm guessing you probably don't have one of those lying about haha.
You could drill a number of holes where you'd like the slot, then either get a jigsaw in there to clean it up, or some really careful work with a file.
Could be an idea to buy/recycle a fader panel from a mixer, and just cut a larger hole in the box, and place the panel on top? Not sure where you'd buy them though.

joegagan

i would use a fibre wheel on a dremel and follow up a little with a skinny file. with practice, the wheel can be very accurate.

start the cut by drilling one hole at each end of the slot and then try not to disturb them.

i also use the skinnier ones ( non - fibre ), just be prepared to change wheels more often.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

John Lyons

Make your lines. Drill a few holes in a line to accept a sabre saw blade.
Make a fence with a piece of wood clamped to the enclosure and to a table.
Slide in the sabre saw blade and get busy, repeat...
File where needed.
If you sacrifice a slide you can use the slider as a template for the slot and screw holes.
Trace them right on the box.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

armdnrdy

Quote from: John Lyons on April 14, 2013, 08:20:23 PM
If you sacrifice a slide you can use the slider as a template for the slot and screw holes.
Trace them right on the box.

Or...if you use a caliper, take accurate measurements, learn how to use one of the many available CAD programs, you can make a template of the layout with exact enclosure hardware locations and sizes.

I do this for every build. It's just part of the process now!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

J0K3RX

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Thecomedian

I have some sliding or linear pots too, and I just dont use them because I cant seem to find a reasonable use for them. There's a few mechanical problems involved in them. Being linear in movement, it's harder to fine tune to a specific location compared to a twist. It's also easier to get dust inside it, since the entire top has to have an open range for the handle to slide around.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

John Lyons

Take a piece of thin semi ridged cloth and cut a slit in it. The poke the slider up though it. It will open
and let the slider past but close when the side it set in a position. Most sliders have this skirt in place.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

kimelopidaer

Thank you everyone.

I've used a file for on/off rocker switches and battery boxes,
and i did alright, but usually in those cases there is a plastic lip
that hides any roughness.

I got thinking about those nice clean lines
that i usually see on faders.
I contemplated using a fixed dremel with a cutting wheel
and a type of fence to keep the enclosure in line.

The video was fantastic; I'm
inspired to try an adaptation to my own needs.
I have a small router I can use in a similar way,
if I can find a bit small enough.

The semi rigid cloth...that is a type of dust cover
just to be sure?

Regards,
K

John Lyons

Yes, it's a dust cover...
Sometimes they are thin pliable plastic as well.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

J0K3RX

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!