rustypinto

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 02, 2011, 12:37:38 PM
Quote from: rustypinto on August 02, 2011, 11:08:43 AM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 02, 2011, 10:06:58 AM
I believe

2 x MN3008 = 1 x MN3005

Correct.

Pinto,

Can I assume that you used the MN3005s from Steve at Smallbear? The ones that are ACTUALLY 3008's  ;D

Seeing as you have 4 of them in your lovely circuit above  ;)

Yes, i used the same "2K fakes" that Steve is selling here (which is a great price IMO):
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=247
  • SUPPORTER

ivanmarch

:D

very nice!!!!
we appreciate your hard work!

thanks for sharing!

ivan.

Brymus

It says pair in Steve's description.
Are you getting two ICs for the 15.95 ?
Or is that because they are two ICs in one ?
(does it cost 32$ or 64$ to get all four IC's?)
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Brymus on August 06, 2011, 04:26:19 PM
It says pair in Steve's description.
Are you getting two ICs for the 15.95 ?
Or is that because they are two ICs in one ?
(does it cost 32$ or 64$ to get all four IC's?)

They way I read it... you get 2 of the IC fakes for $15.95

So you get all four for $32
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

njkmonty

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: njkmonty on September 16, 2011, 08:07:23 AM

You need to link the picture from a hosting site.

Try aron's, or dropbox, imageshack, etc.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

njkmonty

i never new how to do it!!!!

was it url or img ???

because i did both?

Mark Hammer

Missed this one when it first came up.  Very nice work indeed.

Take note, kids!  SIPs are a wonderful thing and can make for delightfully compact footprints and easier layout.  make sure you have some on hand, just to inspire your thinking.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Mark Hammer on September 16, 2011, 08:35:35 AM
Take note, kids!  SIPs are a wonderful thing and can make for delightfully compact footprints and easier layout.  make sure you have some on hand, just to inspire your thinking.

???

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: njkmonty on September 16, 2011, 08:48:38 AM
http://www.andonelect.com/secure/ImagesClientUpload/sips%202.jpg

I know what those are however, I believe that Mark was referring to these:

http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/198/883/142/S6eZ.jpg

SIP = Single Inline Packaging

My  ??? comment was because I did not know how the comment related to this thread.

rustypinto

Quote from: njkmonty on September 16, 2011, 08:07:23 AM

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af111/njkmonty/IMG_0575.jpg

Looks good!

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 16, 2011, 09:07:09 AM
My  ??? comment was because I did not know how the comment related to this thread.

Because all the op-amps in the micro man are SIPs.

***A note to all ***

R18/R22 (which are specified as 33k/33k) seems to make this muddier than usual. The original DMM values were 24k/51k, which you can certainly use. These are meant to kill off a little bit of the signal coming out of the compressor and reduce the clipping (notorious in DMM's). You can also omit R22, and make R18 15k-16k to maintain the filter's corner frequency. This will result in a little less muddiness, and slightly more clipping. You can attempt to compensate this by introducing more attenuation with the inner stage BBD op-amps (IC6A/IC8B).
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

@njkmonty

That looks like a pretty good etch. Definitely go over it with an exacto knife as it looks like some of the traces are pretty close  :icon_eek:

@ rustypinto

Thanks for the clarification. I should have been able to put that together!!  :icon_redface:

Mark Hammer

Quote from: rustypinto on August 02, 2011, 12:43:07 PM
Pinto,

Can I assume that you used the MN3005s from Steve at Smallbear? The ones that are ACTUALLY 3008's  ;D

Seeing as you have 4 of them in your lovely circuit above  ;)

QuoteYes, i used the same "2K fakes" that Steve is selling here (which is a great price IMO):
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=247
I was kinda wondering why I say four MN3005s yet the graphics said 500msec.  My first thought was "What the hell is he clocking those suckers at?  And why doesn't he opt for more delay?"
Knowing that there is actually 8192 stages under the hood clears things up.

Don't sweat the SIP thing GL.  With the markings on the side and not the top, folks don't necessarily recognize them immediately from their hairline!  :icon_wink:

njkmonty

apart from opamps etc
what other  components do you suggest i  socket?
eg i noticed you mention r18, r22, i havent fully sat down and gone through everything,
but i usually like to high lite first the components which may need tweaking prior to install!
most parts im using are from smallbear , would like to avoid resoldering at a later date!

njkmonty

hers some more work in progress, any recommendations for extra component sockets for component tweaking?

rustypinto

Quote from: njkmonty on September 17, 2011, 07:43:08 AM
any recommendations for extra component sockets for component tweaking?

i think what you have there is good. I didn't really anticipate sockets due to the density of the design, so i'm hoping some of the passive components will still fit with them installed. You'll just have to fiddle with them a bit, especially around the BBD sockets.
  • SUPPORTER

njkmonty

i socketed the inline  ics, just in case i screwed up putting them in the wrong way or something!
socketed transistor aswell, and only the 2 x 33k resistors  (r18 and r22)
i also realised its pretty tight when using boxed 1uf non electros too!!  all 13 of them,
here is another progress pic, hopefully encourages other noobs!, apart from your biasing notes, i dont have an oscilloscope , so i might request a few tips before im done, !
:)
one, other thing, after ready back through my post i noticed it may appear that ive tried to blotch out  young pedals info etc, this was totally unintentional, , that was a bad area in etch , so i coloured in with sharpie, since it was ground area!So non disrespect intened!!! ;)
also , only little things, but i used peel n press blue stuff, and i dont know why i didn't earlier, but this was my first transfer that  it did  on a pure flat surface,(was just doing it on the ironing board before!)  ie flat chopping board. Its amazing how many obvious things get forgotten, unless someone spells them out!

njkmonty

ok, populated board

clean signal works
led works
15v coming through
correct power going to all ics

guitar signal coming through when effect on,

all pots appear to work
hear different effects/ squeal (light pitch coming through when adjusting pots)
tried different combinations of trim adjustments, but  to not much avail

can this be  biased/ tuned by ear?  or close to it until i get a oscilloscope?
any suggestions?

jbgron

You can get it to work by ear.  I found the first trimmer closest to the 3PDT is extremely sensitive and it took some very fine adjustment to get it working.  For proper adjustment and fine tuning you really need an oscilloscope.