Quick question about in box wiring.

Started by Tombaxter97, August 10, 2017, 06:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombaxter97

When soldering with stranded wire will one loose strand make the connection invalid, if all the others are soldered on securely. I know I could just resolder a better connection I was just wondering.

Thanks

cnspedalbuilder

No I think you should be ok IF the rest is secure and the joint is soldered properly. But easiest way to tell is to test for continuity w/multimeter.

BTW, I have been transitioning to solid core wire and it has made my box wiring so much easier. I can't tell you how many times I've inadvertently ripped out a stranded wire while working on another one. I've not had that problem w/solid core.

...but I'm sure there are many people who feel differently.

PRR

> will one loose strand make the connection invalid

If you run 200 Amps (truck starter) through 7-strand #6 wire, and miss one strand, the joint will run hot and may be the first to fail in a hard-start. (Which is another reason why starter-cable is usually many-many strand.)

In pedals, electrically we only need maybe a #47 gauge wire, but use ~~ #24 for mechanical robustness, and generally 19-strand. The electrons do not care. Yes, a stray strand is maybe only 18/19 as mechanically rugged, but we are usually generous because we just can't compute the mechanical stress on odd-length wires in a box kicked from Econoline (Transit?) to stage and back all weekend.

What WILL ruin your day is when that stray strand wanders over to ANOTHER point and makes contact where it should not. In small audio this tends to be "don't work". In power electricity it can be BOOM!
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

Bruce Berry died, and so has the Econoline. 1961-2015. (Stripped chassis still available, but that is not an Econoline.)

In UK lands, the equivalent has been called "Transit" so long it is generic. Now the US is only offered this type. OK- the Econoline grew a LOT after Bruce stopped using it, and the Transit is not so fat. (Can be very long- 178" wheelbase is longer than one of our cars, plus much overhang both ends.)
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

EBK

Quote from: PRR on August 10, 2017, 08:05:55 PM
The electrons do not care.
They're like the honey badgers of subatomic particles.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

duck_arse

Tom - when using stranded wire, it is common practise to strip first (the wire - your own clothing is up to you), then give the strands a twist to bundle/bunch them all together. and, if you then "tin" them with solder, you not only prevent strays, soldering to the board will be easier because of the fresh shiny solder on the wires. same goes for when soldering to lugs.
don't make me draw another line.

alanp

Quote from: Tombaxter97 on August 10, 2017, 06:48:11 PM
When soldering with stranded wire will one loose strand make the connection invalid, if all the others are soldered on securely. I know I could just resolder a better connection I was just wondering.

The biggest problem with this (for pedals) will be if said strand happens to wander over to a ground or something (like the aluminium enclosure.) Or if it is grounded and touches a signal wire, or the 9V wire.

Tony Forestiere

Quote from: duck_arse on August 11, 2017, 11:13:31 AM
Tom - when using stranded wire, it is common practise to strip first (the wire - your own clothing is up to you), then give the strands a twist to bundle/bunch them all together. and, if you then "tin" them with solder, you not only prevent strays, soldering to the board will be easier because of the fresh shiny solder on the wires. same goes for when soldering to lugs.

Good advice on pre-tinning. Although, I must highly discourage "Clothing Optional" soldering.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Tony Forestiere on August 11, 2017, 06:14:47 PM
Quote from: duck_arse on August 11, 2017, 11:13:31 AM

Good advice on pre-tinning. Although, I must highly discourage "Clothing Optional" soldering.

It depends entirely on the climate, although the asbestos loincloth is advisable in almost any situation.

T.