Introducing the "One Chip Chorus"!

Started by anchovie, July 26, 2011, 03:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merlinb

Quote from: frequencycentral on August 03, 2011, 09:51:03 PM
I *think* this is based on the updated version. Please check before attempting - it's late - I'm tired.
Wow, you work fast!

Here's a quick sound clip of 'Entropy'. Starting with the depth pot fully dry and then rotating towards wet (pure vibrato), then back again at a slower modulation rate:
w w w.freewebs.com/valvewizard2/SimpleChorus.mp3  (remove spaces and cut and past into browser, otherwise my provider tries to redirect you back here)
The background hum is not the circuit, it's just the shoddy unshielded, crocodile-lead rats nest of a recording setup!

QuoteHow crucial is it to use a BC337?  Would substitution with a 2N series transistor be possible?
Not at all crucial, any NPN should work.

frequencycentral

Well who can sleep through these hot nights? Actually I see a way to get the two rate pot pads closer together, so I'll amend and re-upload later today.

Soundclip sounds good, hiss free, perhaps a little too wobbly? Really, your depth pot is a mix/blend pot - useful though. How about adding a proper depth pot? That way the over-wobble could be tamed to a shimmer. Voltage divider somewhere in between pin 14 and pin 2?
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Govmnt_Lacky

Interesting... I get the "Page cannot be found" annoyance when I paste the link  ???

EDIT: Nevermind... it is my work computer. DAMN Firewalls   :icon_mad:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

merlinb

Quote from: frequencycentral on August 04, 2011, 08:23:24 AM
How about adding a proper depth pot? That way the over-wobble could be tamed to a shimmer. Voltage divider somewhere in between pin 14 and pin 2?
Unfortunately that won't work as the oscillator needs to modulate Vref in the first place, or else it won't oscillate! It was really just an exercise in adding to the knowledge base of the PT2399 applications, I wasn't really suggesting it is a full project.

Earthscum

Not sure if I'll have it populated soon or not, have a show this weekend, and some stuff to do tonight, but...

Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

Taylor

Beautiful board Earthscum. I'm guessing due to the time between posting that layout and now that you made that yourself? I think I recall that you have silk screen equipment so that makes sense. How'd you do the "soldermask"?

Scruffie

Quote from: Earthscum on August 04, 2011, 03:57:28 PM
Not sure if I'll have it populated soon or not, have a show this weekend, and some stuff to do tonight, but...

Wheyy, glad to see my layout being used  :D let us know if you do get it verified.

I'm not sure if it's the picture though or your soldermask but are some of the tracks underneath the IC touching the pins they're not connected to? I know it was tight but they don't on the layout.

Earthscum

@Taylor: I have actually had the image on screen since the day after it was posted. I printed and etched it today. The solder mask is lacquer, printed on the entire board except the pads, same as I do for etching. I used 50/50 dark opaque blue and clear, but just use black for etching block. That's why some of the traces look like they're touching, the ink is just darker in the recesses. I trimmed a couple pad edges that were a bit close to the traces.

I have a super compact 'japanese style' layout with pads for trimmer or resistor/pot that I will try and get posted up tomorrow for the heck of it. This one is going into the reserved circuits box in case anyone needs a chorus. The one I laid out is going to be part of a much larger circuit, so I needed the extra room. The layout happens to work out for a stand-alone so figure I'm gonna share, lol.

ETA: Ha! 666th post!
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

Earthscum

Pad between pins 2 and 3 should be connected to only 3. I got a dead chip, I believe, lol. PSO sounded like it was working, though.

Fixed the pad, yep. Burned the chip.

And...

SCRUFFY'S PCB CONFIRMED (as long as you change that pad to not contact Pin 2).

I dig it, for sure. I may have to see if I can cram this in the box with the LA... they both have unique character. This sounds pretty damned great on Bass, BTW. Maybe a little wet, but actually sounds great to me.

Scruffie

Quote from: Earthscum on August 05, 2011, 10:53:51 PM
Pad between pins 2 and 3 should be connected to only 3. I got a dead chip, I believe, lol. PSO sounded like it was working, though.

And...

I dig it, for sure. I may have to see if I can cram this in the box with the LA... they both have unique character. This sounds pretty damned great on Bass, BTW. Maybe a little wet, but actually sounds great to me.
Ahhh I see, the 100uF, i'll alter that in a day or two and repost.

anchovie

Hooray! Glad to hear the circuit works for someone who isn't me!
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Scruffie

Quote from: Scruffie on August 06, 2011, 01:25:40 AM

And...

Ahhh I see, the 100uF, i'll alter that in a day or two and repost.
Day or two... almost 2 weeks... same thing.

Yazoo

I built the one chip chorus and had the same problem as Brymus, the pulsing distortion. I saw the post about variations in the PT2399 chips so I ordered 5 units from China on eBay. They only cost about 50p each. I've just swapped out the chip today and it works fine now.  :icon_biggrin:

HOTTUBES

The sound clip sounded great imo !
Does anyone know if or when the Vero pic will be verified ?

anchovie

Unless anyone else tries it first, I'll verify it when I finally build mine properly to go in a box (half the breadboard components have been pinched for other things and I've been distracted by lashing together a new tube amp).
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

pinkjimiphoton

hi anchovie,
i built the vero posted....and tried 5 of the 6 pt2399's i have...saving the last one for when...

wellp, there's a problem with the vero. it's weird, it passes signal, and if i mess with the pins and short some of them together, it works for like one sweep. if  hot-swap the chip (i know) it also will work for a split second. i think the lfo is working if i short pins 13 and 14, i hear a sweeping oscillation.. but i can't get it to work like the demo.

i built it straight to the vero, checked for bridges, even dremeled between the strips to be sure...

it's gotta be something obvious, i think...

here's some voltages from the ic socket to ground, going from 1 to 16,
1   4.94           16   2.41
2   2.38           15   2.41
3   0.0             14   2.38
4   0.30           13   2.39
5   2.96           12   2.41
6   2.17           11   2.38
7   1.03           10   2.38
8   1.02           11   2.40

here's a couple crummy phone pix:

can anybody figure out what i got wrong? tried taking measurements without the chip, everything kept dropping...really weird!!!
hoping that someone can figure it out, really wanna make this puppy work!!!!!   :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Pigyboy

Quote from: Yazoo on September 11, 2011, 02:01:58 PM
I built the one chip chorus and had the same problem as Brymus, the pulsing distortion. I saw the post about variations in the PT2399 chips so I ordered 5 units from China on eBay. They only cost about 50p each. I've just swapped out the chip today and it works fine now.  :icon_biggrin:

I'm afeared of buying the 50 centers from China - I got a bad batch before. They are a relative fortune to by them from Smallbear but I know they all seem to work. 
Do you have the ebay link?
Chris
And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG

Yazoo

I don't have the eBay link for the PT2399s from China but the seller name is "goodbuy7888". I've only used one of them so far, the first one out of the tube, and that works fine.

Pigyboy

Thanks Yazoo,

I have a good batch from Smallbear here to use up first.
And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG

pinkjimiphoton

duuuuude.... ???

it was an almost microscopic break in one of the rails!!!  :icon_eek: :icon_redface: :icon_rolleyes:

but,

now it works great!!   :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

reminds me of my old boss dimension d!   

the vero is now VERIFIED, fwiw!!   :icon_mrgreen:

thanks anchovie!!  gotta box it up, will try and post clips this week.
;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr