Introducing the "One Chip Chorus"!

Started by anchovie, July 26, 2011, 03:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 17, 2011, 10:51:11 PM
reminds me of my old boss dimension d!   

This tiny circuit sounds like a Dimension D? Long live DIY!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

pinkjimiphoton

yah, it's really subtle without a lot of modulation on chords, but is very noticeable on single note stuff.

and if ya stack the pt2399's up, you get a really nice "doubler" effect that's alot like the old "boston" sound.

stack up 5 or more, and it becomes a distinct slapback with modulation that sounds remarkably like a short tape echo.

really really nice box...

and the vero layout is VERIFIED...or is that VERO fied?
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

deadastronaut

hi jimi:

cool, what is it like level wise compared to bypass signal, is there a noticable jump or slump?......i mean would you recommend the mix/volume/blend mod?..

been pondering on this today..
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

pinkjimiphoton

don't know yet, i haven't boxed it yet with bypass...today or tomorrow rob.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Pigyboy

I have a board of Scruffies layout here and want to build this now I have some new PT2399's.

How are you guys stacking the PT2399's? First I have heard of doing this.  Can you stack them on Rick's Little Angel?
And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG

pinkjimiphoton

i'd imagine you could stack 'em on anything that uses them. with delay chips i believe it doubles the delay time. all i did was stick one on top of the other so the pins all lined up just to check it out. if i had kept it, would have just quickly soldered them one on top of the other. 2 chips gave enough delay to sound like a double, 3-5 chips sounded almost like a really quick unity slap echo...

for vst guys, it sounded like latency....lol
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Taylor

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 18, 2011, 09:25:07 PM
i'd imagine you could stack 'em on anything that uses them. with delay chips i believe it doubles the delay time. all i did was stick one on top of the other so the pins all lined up just to check it out. if i had kept it, would have just quickly soldered them one on top of the other. 2 chips gave enough delay to sound like a double, 3-5 chips sounded almost like a really quick unity slap echo...

Why not just increase the 1k between pins 4 and 6?

anchovie

Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

deadastronaut

@taylor, so a pot between 4-6 would give a delay too?...

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Taylor

Well, I haven't built this, but I would assume so based on the way the chip works in normal apps. The only thing is that the filtering is not designed for longer times so (without simulating it, just guessing) I'd expect it to get a little nasty as you extended the delay time, with less lowpass filtering than in something like the Echo Base.

deadastronaut

cheers, i'll have to bread it and try a few things out. thanks.

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Taylor on September 18, 2011, 11:36:16 PM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 18, 2011, 09:25:07 PM

Why not just increase the 1k between pins 4 and 6?

i'm a newb, dude, i didn't know you could do that!! ;)  my pampers still have fuzzfaces on 'em, ya know? ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: anchovie on September 19, 2011, 01:47:40 AM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 18, 2011, 12:01:23 PM
the vero layout is VERIFIED...or is that VERO fied?

Thanks for doing this!

my pleasure, thanks for sharing such a very groovy circuit!! i like it so much, it's going on my pedalboard today bro.

so...add the tag to your vero....VERIFIED!!

thinking about building a couple more and messing with them a little...doubling the delay time makes a really nice doubling effect! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

i boxed it up, there isn't really a volume drop when engaged i don't think...i think it's just the psychoaccoustic phenomenon of it sounding so good, yet so subtle.
i haven't tried it into a big amp yet, just my old pignose 3060, it sounds great there...really organic. almost TOO subtle..more noticeable on single notes than chords.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

rhcp_schipper

Hello you guys,

Together with Chris from El Musico Loco I'm working on a One Chip Chorus. Chris made the pcb for me, and I will try and make it work. That last thing isn't happening yet.

I put on all of the components on the board, and hooked all the others things up like the  in and output etc.

So when I power on the one chip chorus, i have a bypass sound, but when it's engaged I only hear some hiss that slightly chances when I play some chords!

Chris said to post my problem on here because you guys could probably help me out here.

Some pics of my board.
Top:

Bottom:

Thanks,

Cheers,

Tim

anchovie

Quote from: rhcp_schipper on September 23, 2011, 08:10:07 AMChris said to post my problem on here because you guys could probably help me out here.

Voltage measurements for the IC pins, please!
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

rhcp_schipper

Quote from: anchovie on September 23, 2011, 08:57:13 AM
Quote from: rhcp_schipper on September 23, 2011, 08:10:07 AMChris said to post my problem on here because you guys could probably help me out here.

Voltage measurements for the IC pins, please!

Sorry, I fairly new here. Can you explain how to? Thank you.

Pigyboy

Take readings from each pin to ground and post them up  :icon_wink:
                                                            - FANG

rhcp_schipper

Quote from: Pigyboy on September 23, 2011, 09:00:15 AM
Take readings from each pin to ground and post them up  :icon_wink:

Chris, will do that! Thanks for the info!

Pigyboy

Hey Tim,
Can you post pics of the rest of your off board wiring along with the voltages?  Everything looks good on the board to me...
                                                            - FANG