Natural compression in BJT's due to leakage current?

Started by Jmariner, December 10, 2023, 09:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmariner

I have this theory that the reverse flow of current due to minority carriers being freed from the barrier gives us great compression in a well oriented BJT circuit. One reason I stuck with them for all these years as a guitar preamp is the density, tightness and richness that allowed me to use a low-pass filter in and out of the active pickup circuit I rely on, but still have incredible and bright treble, midrange and a shell of harmonics from those ranges in my bass.
Pinch harmonics are insane, and the density of my first 3 strings was enough to ignore the high battery drain from the simple circuit I created having low input impedance.
Battery life has started to become annoying with aged rechargeable batteries, so I will eventually build something else relative to it and it's filtering. The high impedance bootstrapped version I was helped out with will probably be the direction I go.

R.G.

Interesting and different sounding idea. I'm not aware of any compression effects from minority carriers, but I'm certainly willing to learn. 

I'm not sure what you mean by the terms "well-oriented", "density" "tightness" and "richness". They're all commonly used, but they may mean something slightly different to you than they do in general usage.

The material I've seen on collector-base leakage says that it's diode leakage, and that the effect in a bipolar is like a constant current into the base. In this context, "constant" is relative; it doesn't vary much with the voltage across the junction, but like everything else in a bipolar, it shifts with temperature. I don't see how it can do actual compression.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

PRR

Audio compression needs a time-average. Otherwise it is distortion.

Even the oldest power Germs were faster than guitar audio.

The Art of Electronics
  • SUPPORTER

Jmariner

I'm regarding the leakage current of minority carriers which we tend to disregard, but it will be 360° out of phase with the majority carrier current, but still the same frequency, time constant, and there is maybe some conveniently disregarded impact on our output signal, but maybe in fact, the 2 never mathematically meet or physically/electronically impact one another, and it is just speculation on my end.

After some clarity provided here by contributors on BJT biasing, I went back to my books and notes from school 11 years ago, and had a "wtf was I thinking" moment on biasing BJT's lol. The ridiculous time gap in education definitely proved "when you don't use it, you lose it."  :P
I've also used nearly exclusively BJT op-amps, and had borrowed a rudimentary design for the BJT preamp I've used for several years and modified it accordingly, so I was also accustom to needing the voltage divider twice over. It's quite shOcking to see what I do remember and don't from the entire spectrum of science and math I covered in college.
Fortunately, you folks clarified it for me and I'm reviewing every single note and book page I covered....which is thousands! lol. Even thousands of pages of highly structured notes I took too   :-\
I expected to remember this stuff far better when I finally got back into it and quite embarrassingly, do not.

amptramp

You mention the low input impedance of this version and your intent to move to a bootstrapped high impedance version next.

The low impedance reacts with the inductance of the pickups to act as an L-R filter to reduce the high frequency content of the harmonics / partials of the strings.  They are called partials because they are not really harmonic - they tend to be sharp due to bending stiffness of the string.  If you have an amplified acoustic guitar, the first four partials are flat due to the detuning caused by the sound hole.

The low-impedance amplifier input reduces the non-harmonic output of the guitar and replaces it with true harmonics.  If you allow the true and detuned harmonics to mix, you may get some tremolo activity due to the low frequency difference.  Once you go to a high-impedance input, you get the full spectrum of the signal and it gets much brighter with more treble from the guitar itself.  This output from the guitar remains in the output signal.

I am interested in finding out what you hear from this experiment.  It should show the effect of adding more of the guitar partials to the output signal.