Building the Meat Sphere

Started by Taylor, July 27, 2011, 03:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaz McGee

I'm really confused about the rotary switches.

If I match up a-a b-b c-c (center lugs) the switch lugs go through the component side and solder on the same side everything else. But every picture I have seen is the opposite where they get soldered on the component side.

Am I missing something?

Also, I made the awesome mistake of taking off the nuts and dingus that selects the number of clicks allowed. The switches have since been run back and forth through all of the clicks and I have no idea where they are supposed to be. What's the procedure here to un-whoops this?

idy

You must remember this...the switches go on the "back" of the PCB, NOT on the same side as the other components! (The thing would still work but all pots and switches would be backwards.)

Stop washer question: Use your meter and turn the knob until you in contact with terminal 1 (or any terminal lower than the number you need.) Now put the stop washer so the tab goes in the right hole, and then use some tape to hold it there until you get ready to go...
...although you will want to solder them in before putting the thing in a box, no? You can always correct this at the last minute before testing and boxing. But at any point the tape is the only way I know to keep things right.

Spaz McGee

Thanks for the heads up!
So which lug do I match up? I'm guessing A to A and the others don't matter?

idy

The A,B,C poles are identical. There are three ways the three pole switch can go in, and all work equally. I did not notice before that the A,B,C on the PCB are mirrors of the letters on the switches. But it is irrelevant.