Building the Meat Sphere

Started by Taylor, July 27, 2011, 03:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mforester

The posted dimensions on the eBay listing are 6 1/8 X 5 3/4 X 2 9/16. I'm waiting for him to get in the pre-drilled enclosures and then I'll have one and can verify the dimensions unless someone else gets to it before me.

vigilante397

Definitely let us know when they're back in stock. I was planning to pick one up but I hesitated too long and missed it  :-\
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

mooner

I bought the PCB and I'm about to start building. Do I need to do anything with all the little holes on the board that seem to lead to nowhere?

Taylor

Nope, they're called "vias" and they connect copper traces on one side of the board to the other side. You can ignore them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_(electronics)

mforester

They're back in stock.

Pedal enclosure box- Lovetone style- Meatball  http://r.ebay.com/CX8NjV

vigilante397

Quote from: mforester on July 17, 2017, 05:29:10 PM
They're back in stock.

Thank you sir, you have done me a great service. Just ordered one  8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

mforester

I should have mine by the end of this week and will post pictures and measurements unless someone beats me to it.

vigilante397

Mine actually showed up a few days ago, but I still have no idea when I'll get around to building it ::)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

mforester

Mine came in today. Measurements are:

Width = 5 9/16"
Back = 2 7/16"
Top = 1 3/8"
Front = 4 3/4"

mforester

Quote from: skarkowtsky on June 26, 2017, 04:44:14 PM
I'm glad some of you guys like the art work. I don't have the eBay enclosure, so I can't set up the file to the proper dimensions. However, anyone who does own it and wants to share the dimensions, I can set up the file and share the PDF here with everyone.

NOTE: This is designed for the eBay enclosure, which closely resembles the OEM housing from what I understand.

Cheers,
John

I've added the dimensions you need, let me know if you need anything more. Would you consider adding to your graphic file an option for the expression 1 and 2 jacks? While there isn't space on top for them it would be easy to install them on the back right side of the lid?

Thank you,

Michael

BetterOffShred

Did the MusicPCB shop go down permanently?  It's been like a month since it was supposed to be back up.. I emailed the contact, but no reply.   I hope not!  I never got a Meat Sphere board!   :icon_eek:

Taylor

I'm still around - this month I moved from Louisiana to Oregon, and am just now getting internet service set up here. PCBs will be in stock and ready to ship in the next couple of days.  :)

edit: actually it was just a couple minutes. The site is updated and everything's in stock except the Echo Base, Christine and Tiny Giant kit (TG PCBs are available).

BetterOffShred

Great!! I'm up in washington state, neighbor.  8)

BetterOffShred

Well I ordered Taylor's board, and one of those Ebay enclosures as seen above.   I hope it fits, if not, I'll fly the pots and rotary switches.   Thanks again for the opportunity Taylor, I'm loving my Gristleizer and I'm looking forward to this build :D
-Brett

bloke_zero

Hi all!

I built this board up and everything works except the envelope doesn't effect the filter at all - the intensity knob doesn't seem to affect filter frequency in relation to the input so the filter frequency is always static unless I change the range switch.

The weird thing is that the LED does work and lights up as I would expect.

I've swapped out the vactrols and checked the soldering - it looks ok!

Could I have blown one of the chips?  Which one controls the envelope?  I looked at the schematic but couldn't figure out the path after the vactrols.

Any help gratefully received!

PMowdes

Quote from: bloke_zero on February 05, 2018, 06:31:49 AM
Hi all!

I built this board up and everything works except the envelope doesn't effect the filter at all - the intensity knob doesn't seem to affect filter frequency in relation to the input so the filter frequency is always static unless I change the range switch.

The weird thing is that the LED does work and lights up as I would expect.

I've swapped out the vactrols and checked the soldering - it looks ok!

Could I have blown one of the chips?  Which one controls the envelope?  I looked at the schematic but couldn't figure out the path after the vactrols.

Any help gratefully received!
Double check the lm1458, make sure you get one from a reputable supplier, that was the big one for me.
the other thing to check is that you have wired the Send / return properly. 

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

www.deadendfx.com
www.instagram.com/deadendfx

BetterOffShred

Just fyi the hole spacing on the EBay boxes from forester is a little too narrow for the rotaries on the board. I drilled them out a few sizes with a step bit and they fit now, I'll just need a "Vanity" washer  (chrome from ACE) to complete the look. The box is incredibly good quality.  I had to goose a couple more of the holes to fit my Tayda pots and upsides the indicator hole to fit a 3mm. 

bloke_zero

Quote from: PMowdes on February 05, 2018, 11:59:37 AM

Double check the lm1458, make sure you get one from a reputable supplier, that was the big one for me.

Thanks!  I ordered another LM1458 and we'll see if that helps - thing is the original is from a reputable dealer and the LED functions as I expect and that, like the optos, comes after the lm1458 - maybe the diode is another place to look.

The suggestion regarding send/return is good - I looked there first because that would be the obvious thing (filter works but no envelope) but I think it is right - there is continuity between the send and return.

I'll investigate further!

PMowdes

Quote from: bloke_zero on February 06, 2018, 06:09:01 AM
Quote from: PMowdes on February 05, 2018, 11:59:37 AM

Thanks!  I ordered another LM1458 and we'll see if that helps - thing is the original is from a reputable dealer and the LED functions as I expect and that, like the optos, comes after the lm1458 - maybe the diode is another place to look.

The suggestion regarding send/return is good - I looked there first because that would be the obvious thing (filter works but no envelope) but I think it is right - there is continuity between the send and return.

I'll investigate further!
Look at it as two separate circuits, if the lm1458 is working then the envelope led should work.

Also remember in certain settings nothing works, make sure you attack is set less than decay, and that the envelope is switched on with the bandwidth switch (one position off the switch turns the envelope off completely).  Set blend, intensity, sensitivity and colour nice and high, put the mode into high pass and the envelope in "up"

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

www.deadendfx.com
www.instagram.com/deadendfx

chicago_mike

My box came in from eBay and this thing is heavy! Super cool! I'll have to get a couple more perhaps.

If you modify the Precision Rectifier circuit a little, you CAN use a 4558. Take a look at the mutron rectifier vs. the meatball one.