Single Transistor Boost PCB Layout

Started by Joe Hart, August 04, 2011, 12:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hart

Can someone please check my layout? I think it's good, but a different set of eyes may see something I missed (and I've never done my own layout before).

Here's the schematic:

And here's my layout:

Thanks!
-Joe Hart

John Lyons

Looks good to me.
You don't need the 1M pulldown at the end though
as the .1 output cap will discharge through the 50K
volume pot.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Steve Mavronis

PCB layout wise, if you rotate that transistor counter-clockwise 90 degrees your traces could cleanly route to it more directly, but might not have to depending on its physical placement.
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

Joe Hart

Quote from: John Lyons on August 04, 2011, 12:42:55 PM
Looks good to me.
You don't need the 1M pulldown at the end though
as the .1 output cap will discharge through the 50K
volume pot.

Yay! I did the layout correctly. I will get rid of the 1M at the end. Thanks!
-Joe Hart

Steve Mavronis

A dumb question on my part because I don't know and trying to learn - is it normal for the positive side of a cap to be grounded?
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

Joe Hart

Quote from: Steve Mavronis on August 04, 2011, 12:47:56 PM
PCB layout wise, if you rotate that transistor counter-clockwise 90 degrees your traces could cleanly route to it more directly, but might not have to depending on its physical placement.
Thanks, Steve. The issue is that I want the transistor part number clearly visible. The boost sounds super evil and the number printed on the transistor is "666"! That needs to take precedence!!
-Joe Hart

Joe Hart

Quote from: Steve Mavronis on August 04, 2011, 12:56:19 PM
A dumb question on my part because I don't know and trying to learn - is it normal for the positive side of a cap to be grounded?
The pedal is negative supply, so the positive goes to ground.
-Joe Hart