WAH pictures- diy , modded & etc.

Started by joegagan, August 05, 2011, 02:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegagan

2 boomerangs. one was (re)built as close to stock as i could, the other has some mods that make it a monster. both owned by the same guy. he wanted a vintage one and firebreather.

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

endorphin

A birfday gift to my friend just got to send it now! Its an old crybaby rev.d board. I made it true bypass, made it suitable for a bass wah with the rotary switch, and of course an LED.

It might be a little wrong but it translates out to "For that essential Bootsy Collins shit. Happy Birthday homie!
60% of the time it works everytime...

zambo

I would cry tears of joy if someone gave me that. Very cool!
I wonder what happens if I .......

fretzburner

Quote from: Güero on January 05, 2012, 10:57:04 PM
Old wah,1992 according Dunlop Customer Service.
Hot Potz replacement, true bypass, Mid Shape, Booster,  6 steps Range and "Q".

Is this an N30 inductor? Which is better N30 compared to new production Red fasel inductor?

Thanks

joegagan

there was some internet chatter about N30 being a superior magnet material, budda supposedly specified these when dunlop was first building his wahs. later, a coppr plumbing cap covered the budda inductor, so i don't know what those are. peavey bought budda a few years back.
i have seen numerous non-budda dunlops from the early 90s period with the N30 marking on inductor. they actually do sound very good. but the dunlop 90s inductors that look the same without the N30 marking sound just as good. i wonder if they were all the same materials?

i prefer any of these early 90s inductors to any modern fasel. i've tested em all.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Güero

Quote from: joegagan on May 03, 2012, 12:04:19 PM
there was some internet chatter about N30 being a superior magnet material, budda supposedly specified these when dunlop was first building his wahs. later, a coppr plumbing cap covered the budda inductor, so i don't know what those are. peavey bought budda a few years back.
i have seen numerous non-budda dunlops from the early 90s period with the N30 marking on inductor. they actually do sound very good. but the dunlop 90s inductors that look the same without the N30 marking sound just as good. i wonder if they were all the same materials?

i prefer any of these early 90s inductors to any modern fasel. i've tested em all.

Thanks Joe,
You said everything !!
:)
Curing the infection one bullet at a time.

paulyy

Love the boomerangs. I need to get one some day.

joegagan

everyone's work on the last 3 pages is awesome.    guerro's stuff is beautiful and inspiring.

guerro, are you selling these, and what kind of feedback are you getting from your customers?

paulyy, here is what that modboy boomer sounds like.

joegagan

joegagan

paulyy

Güero

Quote from: joegagan on May 04, 2012, 01:49:51 PM
everyone's work on the last 3 pages is awesome.    guerro's stuff is beautiful and inspiring.
guerro, are you selling these, and what kind of feedback are you getting from your customers?

Joe, you are a legend, this compliment coming from you is heaven for me. Thanks!
Yeah, I'm selling the mods and the customer's feedback is great. Versatility, good response, dynamics, good timbre, etc.
Cause, I don't mess only in the new board, I change some componentes values for better frequencies and less saturation.
Curing the infection one bullet at a time.

fretzburner

Quote from: joegagan on May 03, 2012, 12:04:19 PM

Thanks Joe,maybe i will try this N30 to my GCB95 with stock inductor the black one with four pins.I also have new production red and yellow fasels.Tried the red and sounds like there's some empty portion of the sweep(heel down) but sound is cleaner.the stock has even sweep from heel down to toe down and is currently installed on my GCB95.

KH602

Does anyone happen to have pictures of the crybaby octave wah from
The early 90s? Gcb-95O. Would be amazed if anyone has gut shots of this pedal. I have seen
This wah knocking around once in a blue moon. Seems rare to come by.

joegagan

Earthscum

Damn that sounds nice! Sweet mod. Is that a pretty high gain Germ?

I tried a t-filter wah with a couple Ge's I had (one at a time, they are both decent gain). I was kind of amazed at the sound it made compared to Si. It's almost self limiting in it's bandwidth, full open neither tranny was really screaming overly loud, although the one with higher gain (about 175, I think about 80uA leakage) definitely had a nicer top resonance. The other tranny I tried in it was about 130 with 150 uA or so leakage. It was a lot softer sounding, sounded great after a fuzz (on bass), but was a bit too subtle to put before the fuzz.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

joegagan

thanks! i did not measure the AC187 that went in there, these usually falls into the 70-100 range. in the picture, you can detect a jumper at the E>gd in place of the resistor, and the bias is set by the collector 100k trim.

i did not swap out Q3, and i left the buffer in place.

the sweep cap has an additional .01 under the board ( ceramic for chewiness), which brings  overall sweep cap value to .02.
the other jumpered caps you see are to try and broaden the dynamic range.
if you listen carefully to the clip, there is a fair amount of high end still leaking through on heel down. this helps keep the wah sound from disappearing.

joegagan

Quote from: Earthscum on May 21, 2012, 02:07:57 AM

I tried a t-filter wah with a couple Ge's I had (one at a time, they are both decent gain). I was kind of amazed at the sound it made compared to Si. It's almost self limiting in it's bandwidth, full open neither tranny was really screaming overly loud, although the one with higher gain (about 175, I think about 80uA leakage) definitely had a nicer top resonance. The other tranny I tried in it was about 130 with 150 uA or so leakage. It was a lot softer sounding, sounded great after a fuzz (on bass), but was a bit too subtle to put before the fuzz.

interesting, i never tried a twin T with germaniums.

Seven64

that modded boomerang sounds awesome!  i want one!!

joegagan

seven, thank you.
i have another one for a customer on the bench. four trimmers, but i wish i had put one on the 47k parallel the inductor.

paul marossy has shown some pics of some BG2 boomers he is repairing from europe. one has a white 68 inductor, which got me wondering if i could do a comparison of the white inductor to the later, more common el rad , but in the same exact pedal for direct comparison.