WAH pictures- diy , modded & etc.

Started by joegagan, August 05, 2011, 02:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Okay to clear things up, the shipping is $15 worldwide, the actual cost of the pedal is yet to be determined, but when i found the sale it was still pretty reasonable  for a working Cry Baby.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

DavenPaget

Quote from: davent on October 12, 2011, 05:40:20 PM
Okay to clear things up, the shipping is $15 worldwide, the actual cost of the pedal is yet to be determined, but when i found the sale it was still pretty reasonable  for a working Cry Baby.

dave
WHAT THE ?!
That's a very high shipping price .
Oh well , MF doesn't ship the Crybaby to my place .
Standard Internation (MF) Shipping does charge a huge amount for a KG100 plus KG412 stack ... the shipping costs half the stack . lol
Hiatus

joegagan

new project, wanted to see if i could make a late model gcb95 sound very different and cool with as few changes as possible.

it has only 4 caps added, one transistor change ( to npn ge), one resistor jumpered, one resistor swapped, and a 470k pot.  here is waht it sounds like, quite gainy and dirty, i like it. hits a tube amp really nice all on its own. sound really good with fuzz as well. kind of a dirty warble.

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

.Mike

This is incomplete, but far enough along that I can show and tell.

I picked up a stock GCB-95 on Craigslist for $20. I removed the buffer, made it true bypass, added an LED. And then...

I added the envelope section from the meat-named pedals. I used an opamp to take the signal right off the switch with a bit of gain, and then put the sensitivity control after that. The envelope section is using an NE5532. It is the only opamp I have that worked, and it isn't working particularly well. It freaks out when you feed it below 1.4 volts, hence the bad sensitivity and release. I need to get an LM1458, and I anticipate it will work much, much better.

The controls are Sensitivity, Attack, Release from front to back. The LDR is DIY, and is inserted between the wah pot and ground. This allows the wah treadle to function as a range control, setting the peak of the sweep. The footswitch shorts the photocell so it is like it isn't even there, and the wah functions 100% normally with no change in tone when the auto-wah feature is bypassed. The jack for the footswitch defaults to defeating the auto-wah. Inserting a bare connector makes it default to auto-wah.

The footswitch is made in a fence post cap that I found on the ground at a park. I looked at all the fence posts I could find, and didn't see one missing, so... uh... I did my civic duty and disposed of the trash. ;) I had to fabricate the aluminum bracket. It took a bit of thinking to get the wiring right. It converted my wah pedal to a radio for a while, but I worked it out, and it is now dead silent.

Sorry for the bad playing on this one... the video is really just to document how bad it is working with the NE5532.

If anyone wants it, I'll gladly release the layout and wiring diagram. It was an easy build, but putting it all together wasn't so easy.

I'll post a better video once I get everything smoothed out. :)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

joegagan

love it, nice work! cool to see the idea and then the execution.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

John Lyons

Yeah! That's cool mike. Sounds good, if it sounds better with the 1458 then jeez... :icon_biggrin:
I dig that PCB as well.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

zambo

Wah pedal with fx loop starts at about 5:40 . Love this thing. 
I wonder what happens if I .......

John Lyons

Zambo
So what is the routing of the FX loop?
Wah > TS > Octave > out with the Switch in the
Wah setup to bypass all?

Cool wah Joe.
What is the small box fuzz?
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

zambo

Yep. its actualy wah>Octave>TS>out to switch to bypass all. I am no good with transistors so my friend made it for me. Does anyone make these already??
I wonder what happens if I .......

John Lyons

Does anyone make these already??
Not that I know of but it's a cool way to do a wah/OD/etc chain
when you step down on the wah.
Forgot to say that the amp sounds good!
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

joegagan

that is the government-lacky-built tonebender mk2. sounds excellent.  he did a nice job on the build too.

Pigyboy

This is a Boomerang Wah circuit I put in this old Colorsound Volume pedal case. Joe Gagan is my inspiration to do this.  He supplied me with a bunch on inductors and I came across a 22k neg log pot that sounds great.  I also replaced the 1uf with 2u2 tantalum caps and I used a .015uf paper-in-oil cap for the .01 for extra points.  No pops or cracks.  It sounds amazing to me. There are two quacky vocal points on the long throw of the treadle.  Both have a real curve in the Q-point.  Now I have to make another using the Supa Wah layout with a 1H5 inductor & Ge transistors to go in the crybaby case Joe sent.  Will make a video when my wife gets back with the camera -

Question - Do you guys put the wah in front or behind the fuzz?  After the fuzz this one sounds good - really round, vocal-ish tones and before the fuzz the things still quacks but the fuzz is a lot more on top of the tone.

And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG

nexekho

Quote from: Pigyboy on November 19, 2011, 08:19:40 AM
Question - Do you guys put the wah in front or behind the fuzz?
In my case my primary distortion is a Line 6 Pocket POD which does some automatic EQ levelling to try and get a consistent sound for a patch regardless of the guitar/amp used (you can tell it what kind of cab/amp you're using and it sorts that end out too) and if you run a wah into the front of it on some patches with heavy EQ it works like a volume pedal and on others the balancing means parts of the frequency spectrum run at a very low bit depth.

When I'm using anything else though, in front, it just sounds so much stronger.
I made the transistor angry.

Güero

Curing the infection one bullet at a time.

Pigyboy

^^^
That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen!  

How do you mask the pcb and what humongous circuit is that?  And how did you finish the case?

BTW I just got a catalog from a place in China I buy from and now they have wah boxes

I asked for a price for 10 and a price for 50 shells. I am doing a big order of other stuff and maybe I can get some of these if people want them. I'll post the price when he sends it later.
PM me if you want a copy of the catalog
                                                            - FANG

Güero

Quote from: Pigyboy on November 23, 2011, 03:54:43 AM
^^^
That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen!  

How do you mask the pcb and what humongous circuit is that?  And how did you finish the case?

BTW I just got a catalog from a place in China I buy from and now they have wah boxes

I asked for a price for 10 and a price for 50 shells. I am doing a big order of other stuff and maybe I can get some of these if people want them. I'll post the price when he sends it later.
PM me if you want a copy of the catalog

Thanks for your kind words.
I masked the board  with a stained clear coat for PCB's
The circuit is a bunch of mods that I found and put togeter in the same board, I like the clean and organized visual
I removed the old paint for this job

Pigyboy

I made this for Joe... a vid of this wah with the No.83 Fuzz - Check out them nice socks!

- FANG

joegagan

cool video, thanks for the mention! would like to hear the wah with some more low end in the video, hard to tell what the sweep is doing. the fuzz is cool , too. i've said it elsewhere, that #83 fuzz has a strange old/new feel that is refreshing.

Kirk A

In other threads, I'd asked about anyone modifying the Ernie Ball 6185 Wah pedal. Well, my brand new pedal finally arrived, so the first thing I did was take it apart. Here are some insights to the insides:

https://picasaweb.google.com/116590779301281658338/ErnieBall6185WahPedal?authkey=Gv1sRgCNyesvSJj_GW0wE

It is certainly a crowded space. I chose this pedal because its companion volume pedal is built like a tank. This is smaller than the full-size VP, perhaps the same as a VP-Jr. Fortunately I got this one for a nice price. But I am probably going to acquire a "standard" style shell for some custom experiments. (Any spare copies of the GGG PCB available? They're discontinued on the GGG site.)

Enjoy the pix! I threw in a few extra shots of the basement workshop which has accumulated years of stuff and is quite a mess. Nevertheless, you can see equipment dedicated to my other noisy hobby as well as the album cover I painted in high school, several decades ago.
-Kirk

Güero

The standard mods and a mid emphasis switch/pot/led